help to find AM4 AHCI driver for XP?

Damnation

I am attempting to install XP on an AM4 motherboard - specifically an ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4

my SATA controller HWIDs

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43B7&SUBSYS_43C81849&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_0612&SUBSYS_06121849&REV_02
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7901&SUBSYS_79011849&REV_61

I Keep getting a 7B BSOD attempting to install.

any help to find a driver?

Which controller is the one that your single physical disk is connected to? You can easily tell by using a portable "Device Manager" type program and having it set to view by connection. The ASMedia ASM1061 (at least the original iteration, the PCI-E 1x card) did support XP, but there may be no actual relation to this onboard controller that came out years later.

I can't easily find a driver for that controller without having to download a bunch of stuff and look inside. That sounds like a job for You! :w00t:

For the other thing (VEN_1022) I didn't delve too deep into it.

19 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Which controller is the one that your single physical disk is connected to? You can easily tell by using a portable "Device Manager" type program and having it set to view by connection. The ASMedia ASM1061 (at least the original iteration, the PCI-E 1x card) did support XP, but there may be no actual relation to this onboard controller that came out years later.

I can't easily find a driver for that controller without having to download a bunch of stuff and look inside. That sounds like a job for You! :w00t:

For the other thing (VEN_1022) I didn't delve too deep into it.

OK

FreeDOS/Windows98 - ASM1061

Windows 10/Spare SSD(trying to put XP on here if I can) - 43B7

M.2 ? - 7901 ? - I'm not sure if this is correct since nothing is in the M.2 slot.

Let's go back a second. At which phase of installation do you get the 0x7B stop error?

Windows XP install phase has two main parts:
1. booting off the install media, install and restart
2. booting off the destination drive to finish installation

If it is in phase 1, then you need to identify the path to the install media. If it is phase 2, then you identify the path to the hard disk.

AMD only provides Win7+ and Linux drivers for the B350 SATA controller. I would recommend that you put the XP on a disk by itself and connect it to one of the two ports used by the ASMedia controller. You may have better luck in finding an XP driver for that device considering it is older. Otherwise you should research any instances where people have tried to put XP onto a Ryzen board to perhaps get some better search results.

9 hours ago, rloew said:

I patched the AHCIX86 Driver to be generic. It works with AMD and Intel CPUs. It has not been tested with any Ryzen boards.

I'm willing to test it, I have not yet found anything else that works.

When I built a new system a few months back and wanted to dual boot with XP, I had to settle on an AM3+ board for reason that this was the only board that would support XP in that it had both XP chipset / AHCI driver and USB3 driver.

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up this topic. I'm trying desperate to install XP. Since 5 days I researched and tried so many approaches (VHD, USB, SATA, CD...) without success that I lost the track... All sata driver I tried didn't work. Setups always end up with A5 or 7b BSOD. Is there any chance to get this running? Is there any driver for this sata controller at all?

My controller is DEV_43B5 and the board is an ASUS x370 C6H.

I think newer AMD AHCI storage controllers are dependent on ACPI to manage resources - without ACPI the Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller doesn't work, so AHCI controller never receives IRQ