Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
shorterxp

RunOnce stage - NLITE.CMD wont run .exe

Hi,

Would like some pointers about RunOnce stage. I cannot fathom why RunOnce wont install this SFX.exe. Its tedious having restart clean boots just to troubleshoot this.

A particular app refuses to install (no error given) even though the exe itself works OK if run (manually) after the RunOnce procedure completes (i.e after the desktop shows).. With manual execution it installs as intended. Its a SFX archive, in a directory on the install media. The other SFX executables in that directory work fine also.

Few possibilities:

• Is there a limit on the number of commands NLITE.CMD can make at RunOnce?
  • Maybe XP does not like SFX packed with the latest WinRAR? Edit: I repacked SFX with older 2006 version of WinRAR. Issue persists.
  • Perhaps daemon installer within the SFX seeks a directory that doesn't exist until complete login (i.e. when task bar appears)?

Heres the example NLITE.CMD (the very last stage of unattended).

@ECHO OFF
for /f "tokens=3" %%i IN ('reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v "SourcePath" ^| findstr "REG_SZ"') do set SOURCE=%%i
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\QL.exe
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\TCPO.exe
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\PowerMenu.exe
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\DreamAquarium.exe
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\SV.exe
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\CoreTemp.exe
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\SumatraPDF.exe
%SOURCE%\AUTOADD\DaemonTools.exe
@ECHO Please Wait as MS Office is Installed...
@ECHO OFF
%SOURCE%\OFFICE2003\SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS="UNATTENDED.MST" /qn
%SOURCE%\OFFICE2003\O12Conv.msi
%SOURCE%\OFFICE2003\Activate.exe
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /C "START RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,3"
EXIT

Really would like daemon integrated into unattended. If all else fails, I will have to instruct users to install it manually instead.

(love this forum btw - it's really quick).

Edited by shorterxp

13 hours ago, shorterxp said:

Really would like daemon integrated into unattended. If all else fails, I will have to instruct users to install it manually instead.

users ? :w00t:

I believe your post is related to this thread (only to keep things as together as possible and to give context):

https://msfn.org/board/topic/89382-why-cant-you-install-sptdsys-without-rebooting/

Besides the curiosity about the (number of) users that would want to install XP unattended (including Daemon Tools) in 2018, which is of course ONLY a curiosity of very little importance,  are you using the AutoIt ot the AutoHotKey "helper"?

Maybe the issue is with either AutoIt or AutoHotKey not available/not running correctly at the time you run the SFX.

I would try using a "Hello world" compiled script to check if there are issues with either of them, and also check if the runonce entry is created in the Registry.

The original script by MHZ works (or it should, or at least there was not anyone reporting it did not in the last 10 years) so maybe it is the changes you made?

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz

For 'users' curiosity, see end of post.

While that thread is related, the problem described here is separate. To put the problem visually:

Attempt 1 
Unattended procedure
Reboot
NLITE.CMD calls other SFX - all of them work
NLITE.CMD calls Daemon_SFX.exe: FAIL
Taskbar appears / Unattended procedure complete
Outcome: Daemon not installed without user input

Attmept 2
Unattended procedure
Reboot
NLITE.CMD calls other SFX - all of them work
Taskbar appears / Unattended procedure complete
Manual execution of Daemon_SFX.exe*: OK
Outcome: Daemon installed but with user input

*file is in same directory as previous.

The only apparent difference is the chronology of taksbar, which marks the end of NLITE.CMD and unattended setup.

MHZs may work but I was less familiar on how to apply it. For me, installing SPTD via cmdlines.txt (t12) and then daemon.exe via NLITE.CMD with the usual reboot in between was simpler (except for this SFX which now won't install automatically - goddamnit!).

users: I may distribute my XP install amongst my peers to satisfy a small project. If daemon won't install without user input then I could put a shortcut to the package on the desktop in order for users to install it manually. I could also use MHZ method but I'm curous about why my mehod doesn't work.

Edited by shorterxp

Yep :), though the curiosity question was about the "number" of users, I wanted to undersatand if the following (unsolicited) advice/opinion was applicable to your case.

Like I believe everyone else (and possibly much before almost everyone else)  I was very interested to these "indistinguishible from magic" unattended installs both from a theoretical and a practical viewpoint.

While the theoretical part remained unscathed and remains till today very interesting (to me at least), I lost a lot of faith in the practical part.

If you have hundreds (or thousands or more) "users", spending tens of hours of your time  to  make a silent/unattended install "perfect" (or however keeping one of your brain "slots" focused to such a minor thing) may be not fully wasteful.

But if the number of users is a bunch of friends or relatives, then it makes more sense to - once you have it working - to write a small set of instructions to complete manually the install and call it a day.

Another question (as well of no actual relevance, only curiosity) is:

WHY Daemon Tools?

I mean, ten years ago there weren't probably that many alternatives, but today there are quite a few AFAICT.

If you prefer (as above curiosity only, no actual urge to reply):

WHICH particular features of Daemon Tools (not available in similar software) did you choose them for?

jaclaz