Audacity 2.3.0 fails to run on Windows XP

sdfox7

I also installed Visual C++ 2017, still a no go with the 142 error. This is silly. I usually avoid programs that are dependent on numerous (frivolous) other software packages.

Why don't they just include what you need in the install package?

Thank you for the Dependency Walker output.

It's indeed a C++ Redistributable error as you are missing the C++ Redistributable 2015. (I thought 2017 superseded it 'cause it uninstalls it if you try to install it on a system that had the 2015 one, but still...)

Try now: https://mega.nz/#!fVV1jSJI!USnndnQAsFXjNRphtsmrk8hFhylsX5lNWvA8rVzOJj0

I have no clue: it doesn't recognise them and it fails to load them, even though they are there. You have a 32bit version of XP, right? ('Cause in the 64bit it wouldn't work).

As to the other things, I have no idea: everything is there, nothing is highlighted as missing. Yes, there are a couple of warning on kernel32, but I don't think they are preventing it from running entirely.

My answer is: I don't know.

Uh... which assembly optimisations do you have in your CPU? You do have at least SSE2, right? (If you don't know, check with Piriform Speccy in the CPU page).

I can't think about any other possible reasons for that to fail to load...

Edited by FranceBB

44 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

I have no clue: it doesn't recognise them and it fails to load them, even though they are there. You have a 32bit version of XP, right? ('Cause in the 64bit it wouldn't work).

As to the other things, I have no idea: everything is there, nothing is highlighted as missing. Yes, there are a couple of warning on kernel32, but I don't think they are preventing it from running entirely.

My answer is: I don't know.

Uh... which assembly optimisations do you have in your CPU? You do have at least SSE2, right? (If you don't know, check with Piriform Speccy in the CPU page).

I can't think about any other possible reasons for that to fail to load...

Yes, Core 2 Duo T7500 supports SSE2. That's fine, I'll be sticking with Audacity 2.2.2.

I just saw the DW results (both), and because there are only warnings, it should at least load and begin to run. Try DW again and if there are still just warnings, press F7 and start Profiling.

Edit: Also just noticed several files with Link Checksum in red. Those files appear to be corrupt. On XP invalid checksums might prevent loading (or maybe just in drivers?).

Edited by jumper

@FranceBB @jumper @someguy25 @i430VX @VistaLover @rloew @Dibya @I41Mar @Mathwiz @aviator @RED-CHAMBER @Tamris @CoRoNe

SOLVED!

Thank you all for your troubleshooting and input. After installing a fresh Dell OEM copy of Windows XP on my Inspiron 1420, and "one step at a time" trial and error, I discovered the missing culprit:

Visual Studio 2013 (VS2013): https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/E/6/2E61CFA4-993B-4DD4-91DA-3737CD5CD6E3/vcredist_x86.exe

I tried several different things, one at a time. Once I installed this package, Audacity 2.3.1 immediately began working.

I'm thankful for this Audacity thread which helped me FINALLY discover the culprit: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=272186#p272186

Note, my Dell XP copy is SP3 RTM with IE6. So, no further updates to Windows XP or IE are needed.

aud231_3.jpg

• 3 months later...

Audacity 2.3.2 almost works on my end, with just patching of EXE OS version. Almost...

Edit: the 2.3.1 v4 XP mod posted here bombs out with same error. Same with 2.0.6, the version they claim is last XP compatible.

2.0.0, last win98 compat version works, though.

portaudio_dead.png

Edited by 404notfound

1 hour ago, 404notfound said:

Audacity 2.3.2 almost works on my end, with just patching of EXE OS version. Almost...

Edit: the 2.3.1 v4 XP mod posted here bombs out with same error. Same with 2.0.6, the version they claim is last XP compatible.

2.0.0, last win98 compat version works, though.

portaudio_dead.png

I've had this error actually. Because my ThinkCentre has built-in speakers and Audacity doesn't like it, i plugged in some speakers in mine and error go away for me and unplugging them doesn't trow the error after. BTW Audacity 2.1.3 is the last "officially" supported version on XP, 2.0.6 is for XP without any Service Packs as they say in their website:P

3 minutes ago, Nojus2001 said:

I've had this error actually. Because my ThinkCentre has built-in speakers and Audacity doesn't like it, i plugged in some speakers in mine and error go away for me and unplugging them doesn't trow the error after. BTW Audacity 2.1.3 is the last "officially" supported version on XP, 2.0.6 is for XP without any Service Packs as they say in their website:P

Well, I doubt that would fair any better. Buggy PortAudio code is my bet.

Edited by 404notfound