Audacity 2.3.0 fails to run on Windows XP

sdfox7

Well I don't know much about manifest files but this is quite simple, one example with the standard header, for Kernel32.dll:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="redirector" type="win32" />
    <file name="kernel32.dll"> </file>
</assembly>

If you need redirection for more system DLLs just put similar lines below the line for Kernel32.dll. So the file should have the full name of appropriate program with extension "manifest" at the end and it should be put in program's folder. You can also make a file with the similar name but with extension "local" (content is not important, may be empty) but it seems it's not needed in XP. (In Win98 you don't need ".manifest" file but you need ".local" I think). In this way I use Kernel32.dll and some other DLLs from One-Core-Api just for certain programs, without need to install them. (If you want just to use redirection to Kernel32.dll from Extended XP it won’t work, I guess because Ntdll.dll should be loaded at the boot time and this Kernel32.dll works only with blackwingcat’s Ntdll.dll from Extended XP.)

Edited by aviator

7 hours ago, aviator said:

Well I don't know much about manifest files but this is quite simple, one example with the standard header, for Kernel32.dll:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" name="redirector" type="win32" />
    <file name="kernel32.dll"> </file>
</assembly>

If you need redirection for more system DLLs just put similar lines below the line for Kernel32.dll. So the file should have the full name of appropriate program with extension "manifest" at the end and it should be put in program's folder. You can also make a file with the similar name but with extension "local" (content is not important, may be empty) but it seems it's not needed in XP. (In Win98 you don't need ".manifest" file but you need ".local" I think). In this way I use Kernel32.dll and some other DLLs from One-Core-Api just for certain programs, without need to install them. (If you want just to use redirection to Kernel32.dll from Extended XP it won’t work, I guess because Ntdll.dll should be loaded at the boot time and this Kernel32.dll works only with blackwingcat’s Ntdll.dll from Extended XP.)

Extended xp don't use any files from Windows 200 kex

I am developing a wrapper library like xompie . It is for those who don't like modified system files .

I meant on Windows XP/2003 Extend Kit. Actually Kernell32.dll from Extended XP works with Ntdll.dll from
XPSP3 QFE POSReady update (what I called "blackwingcat's Ntdll.dll" is such one, I guess) but not with version from SP3. The newest Extended XP can work with both SP2 and SP3, the problem is that its installer doesn't contain Ntdll.dll, so if one skips installing additional updates it's needed to update Ntdll.dll manually. Never mind the conception, more complex programs still don't work and the most important among them are newer browsers. Nice that you don't give up, I'm very interested to see what you will do next.

Edited by aviator

To Aviator.
Thank you for your attentions and informations about running BestFitDemo program in a WinXP SP2 system.
Unfortunately I can' find the One-Core-Api extension binaries (disappeared web site) and Extended XP downloads (disappeared also).
Bacause I do not have good computer skills, can you kindly post for example the BestFitDemo.exe.manifest and the 'SP3 registry trick' and, if you want, send me via e-mail these files (One-Core-Api, Extended XP and WindowsXP-KB3126593-v3-x86-ENU.exe)?
My e-mail is 'my msfn name' @ gmail com.
Thank you very much.
I41Mar

• 2 weeks later...

The new Audacity seems to work right for me. But my experience has been something different. I have kept the version 2.2.2 installed and downloaded the portable zip version of 2.3.0. Finally, I applied a patch I found on this page: ( https://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.io/static.php?page=PatchPE ) When starting Audacity for the first time, an error appears that I have limited to ignore. Of course, I do not discard possible errors later. But nothing at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

@Tamris

The version of Audacity that was patched by @FranceBB to run on XP belongs to the alpha development channel, as such it is only available in the default en-US localization ; exact version is 2.3.1a-git-20181022-g72fbf1b (reported as Audacity 2.3.1-alpha-Oct 22 2018 in the app's GUI), the download link for the ZIP package - for those on Vista+ - is at:

https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-devel-old.html =>

https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-devel.html?dwl=audacity-2.3.1-alpha-72fbf1b.zip

So there's no way to change the GUI's locale via

Edit => Preferences => Interface => Display => Language

Only options there are System/English ...

6 hours ago, someguy25 said:

where can i find Audacity's lithuanian language pack?

Luckily for you, there have been only minimal string changes between the release channel version 2.3.0 and the alpha channel pre-release (patched for XP compatibility), so what you can do is

1. Download the official ZIP package for release version 2.3.0:

https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html?dwl=audacity-win-2.3.0.zip

2. Extract from it the Languages directory; at this stage, you can optionally remove locales you are never to use in the future...

3. Place the Languages directory inside the same root folder where (patched) Audacity.exe is located.

4. Launch the app and now the option to change to a different (to default English) GUI language should be present; select as desired...

5. Restart the app for full localization:

cBlVdJR.jpg

6. Enjoy... :)

BTW/FYI, release channel version 2.3.1 is scheduled for Dec 28th, 2018... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 2:43 PM, FranceBB said:
On 11/11/2018 at 6:28 AM, sdfox7 said:

aud230_3.jpg

Honestly, I don't know why it doesn't work on your system

It's because...

On 11/1/2018 at 2:58 PM, FranceBB said:

Anyway, for this build, at least SSE2 are required.

Same here on my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (no SSE2).

Btw, as a word of advice, don't use the VERY outdated FFmpeg library Audacity works with! Instead pipe Audacity's output to an up-to-date FFmpeg executable.

Edited by CoRoNe
Added word of advice on FFmpeg

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2018 at 8:43 AM, FranceBB said:

Ok, so this time there aren't missing dependencies, it just fails to load, which is weird 'cause it means that it's something related to your system.

Honestly, I don't know why it doesn't work on your system, as I tried it on a few other systems and it was working fine, especially 'cause I included every dependency needed. 

Besides, the message you are getting is related to the C++ Redistributable.

Do you have an updated system? Which Antivirus do you have? Can you check that whatever antivirus you are using it's not interfering with the executable? (Please note that it's not digitally signed, so some antivirus products might not like it).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

@Dibyacan you try to run it on your XP as well? It's just to make sure that the issue is related to his system. After all, the installer works for someguy25 as well as in my virtual machine.

@FranceBB @Dibya

That could be the issue. I will give this another try today on different and fully patched XP system. My daily driver is SP3 RTM with no additional updates other than Internet Explorer 8. No antivirus.

2 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Ok, let me know if it works. :)

Still not working. I get

aud230_3.jpg

I want to start from the beginning. With a fully patched XP system and no other software, what else am I missing? Visual C++ of some kind? Net Framework (there's only a million different versions).

This thread has become long with different scenarios, and hard for me to follow.

Yes, C++ Redistributable and .NET Framework.

By the way, in my system, for instance, I have:

- C++ Redistributable 2005 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2017

- ,NET Framework 1.1 - 2.0 - 3.0 - 3.5 - 4

- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 - 3.5

I also have the Intel C++ Redistributable for the programmes I compiled with Intel Parallel Studio, but Audacity isn't one of them.

I'm gonna ask Peter to test it on his XP, which is pretty minimal.

EDIT: Peter just replied saying that it works on his system.

If you have Dependency Walker, can you please drag and drop the executable and show me the results? This way it's gonna be easier to understand what's missing from your system.

Edited by FranceBB

33 minutes ago, FranceBB said:

Yes, C++ Redistributable and .NET Framework.

By the way, in my system, for instance, I have:

- C++ Redistributable 2005 - 2008 - 2010 - 2012 - 2013 - 2017

- ,NET Framework 1.1 - 2.0 - 3.0 - 3.5 - 4

- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 - 3.5

I also have the Intel C++ Redistributable for the programmes I compiled with Intel Parallel Studio, but Audacity isn't one of them.

I'm gonna ask Peter to test it on his XP, which is pretty minimal.

EDIT: Peter just replied saying that it works on his system.

If you have Dependency Walker, can you please drag and drop the executable and show me the results? This way it's gonna be easier to understand what's missing from your system.

Here you go:

aud23dp.jpg