Great tutorial and Nvidia card question

While I'm a Linux user mainly these days, I do experiment with older windows from time to time so after seeing this tutorial on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-1pIl-Wdzo  I downloaded the files and dusted off my Windows 2000 sp4 disk and tried it out on my dell optiplex 740.  Following each of the steps has worked great and now what I need to know is which is the best BWC Nvidia driver to use?  I have a 2gb silent Asus geforce 710 card and I'm not sure which is the right one to use.

Edited by OldSchool38

Well, I've went ahead and tried several of BWC Nvidia drivers so far (300 series) and no luck, I've heard of something called extended core (KB979683-v10c-x86-enu.exe) and gave that a shot.  It installed with no hiccups but all my attempts to install the Nvidia drivers through the control panel have failed as well.  Darn it, I feel I'm on the edge of success this time-but I seem to have hit the wall again.

Tried an old geforce 7200 card, the BWC drivers still don't work-broke out an old 165 driver and it worked fine.  I was able to install the 4.13 version of CCleaner, the current version of VLC and Smplayer and run them successfully so I know the extended kernel works.

I'd wager that most modern-ish GPUs won't support anything before 7, *maybe* Vista (with much rigamarole) if you're lucky. This is via official drivers, of course.

As for the unofficial ones (such as BWC's), I don't have a clue.

c

13 hours ago, slayer1994 said:

Have you tried with the extended kernel?

Yes, I got the extended kernel to successfully install and was able to use more updated versions of various programs, but I tried several of BWC's drivers and couldn't get any of them to work.