uBlock Origin, Chromium 54 and Firefox 52.9 ESR

This thread is about uBlock Origin.
Please stick to the topic.

Also the use of uBlock Origin in Blocking mode: hard mode assumes the use RECOMMENDED by Raymond Hill himself of some filter lists.
Specifically:

1. All of uBlock Origin's custom filter lists: checked
  2. EasyList: checked
  3. Peter Lowe's Ad server list: checked
  4. EasyPrivacy: checked
  5. Online Malicious URL Blocklist: checked

It is possible to modify the lists after number 1 with custom lists.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

• 1 month later...

Those with an existing installation of uBO-legacy should have been updated automatically via GitHub; those (like me) who have auto-update turned-off, manually check for available updates and you should be offered new v1.16.4.30; lastly, those who want to install for the first time or experience auto/manual GitHub update "issues", the URI to the XPI file is found below:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/releases/tag/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.30

This last release aims to mitigate the security vulnerability mentioned just previously in this thread by our security guru, i.e. @Sampei.Nihira :P

Hi @Sampei.Nihira, if you were to suggest today a list of lists (including both the standard and those not in the standard list), which ones would you recommend, given your research? If it is not too much of an imposition, would you include a list of the links to import? I've been trying to follow this thread, but have gotten lost very often. Of course, if you have the time to do so, ragazzi :P.

19 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Hi @Sampei.Nihira, if you were to suggest today a list of lists (including both the standard and those not in the standard list), which ones would you recommend, given your research? If it is not too much of an imposition, would you include a list of the links to import? I've been trying to follow this thread, but have gotten lost very often. Of course, if you have the time to do so, ragazzi :P.

Forgive the delay in my response.
Obviously I would recommend the lists I used to use as well,you can find them in this thread a few pages back.
You might also consider the experimental list below:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gwarser/filter-lists/master/lan-block.txt

I'm not sure whether the lan-block list is working, as settings tell me 0 used of 0 rules. Any idea on how to check if it works or not? Thanks again, and my apologies for pestering you ;P

Noname.png

Edited by dmiranda

3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

I'm not sure whether the lan-block list is working, as settings tell me 0 used of 0 rules. Any idea on how to check if it works or not? Thanks again, and my apologies for pestering you ;P

Noname.png

You should see the list in "Privacy".
But as you may have read I have no way to verify with UBO Legacy.

• 3 weeks later...

I read that some MSFN members have problems with Noscript.

An interesting solution is to use UBO in Hard Mode:

Roughly similar to using Adblock Plus with many filter lists + NoScript with 1st-party scripts/frames automatically trusted + RequestPolicy with 1st-party resources automatically whitelisted.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode:-hard-mode

For MSFN members who resent the inevitable fixes for broken websites an equally interesting solution is that proposed by Kees1958 + Lenny_Fox.

Enter the rules below in "My rules":

* com * noop
* edu * noop
* eu * noop
* gov * noop
* inf * noop
* io * noop
* it * noop
* net * noop
* org * noop

change the "it" rule with the one of your Country.

There will be very few broken websites that need fixing.

The increase in protection of UBO with respect to blocking lists only, and even with respect to the Medium mode, will certainly be greater.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira