uBlock Origin, Chromium 54 and Firefox 52.9 ESR

14 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

I think latest version 1.16.4.18 has a mistake. I wrote about it in topic about roytam browsers.

Thanks!
Yes I just checked, and although I couldn't see any network error massages, the filters were all shown as being out of date.
A manual update fixed it.
How often are they supposed to be checked for updates?
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Quote added as reply appeared on a new page

2 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

How often are they supposed to be checked for updates?

Well in previous UBO versions they usually auto update once in a several days (3-4). The last version now has this bug with Easylist.  Easylist is important filter IMHO. So it's better somebody who is registered on Github or just know contacts of Raymond Hill or JustOff to tell them quickly.

8 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes I just checked, and although I couldn't see any network error massages

In what browser you checked? Because i check in roytam New Moon. And my screenshot is from New Moon. That's why i wrote about it in topic about New Moon.

I'm using Firefox 52.9.1 ESR.
I guess if the filters only update every few days anyway, it's now going to be a while before I can check to see if I really do have the problem!
Before switching to UBO, I used AdBlock+ for many years, and I'm pretty sure that used to update the lists a lot more often.
:)

13 hours ago, Rod Steel said:

I think latest version 1.16.4.18 has a mistake.

Sites are sometimes overloaded (many requests) and auto-updating may be unsuccessful. Manual updates are also sometimes unsuccessful. Especially at "rush hour" in the evening. I am doing only manual update.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:14 AM, VistaLover said:

Versions of uBlock Origin > 1.16.20=1.16.18 for Google Chrome now require Chrome version >=52.0

One solution for XP diehards might be to use Yandex 17.4.1, which is based on Chromium 57. I just installed uBlock Origin 1.24.4 from chrome web store and it seems to be working, even though I flagrantly disregarded Yandex instructions to get extensions from the Opera addons site (where installation of UBO on Yandex is prohibited).

378882925_UBOonYandex.thumb.JPG.bf1560be334ee982267f4ab781ba3ce2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 10:36 AM, Dr. Drill said:

Sites are sometimes overloaded (many requests) and auto-updating may be unsuccessful. Manual updates are also sometimes unsuccessful. Especially at "rush hour" in the evening. I am doing only manual update.

Yeah, well, whatever it was it is now gone away with new version 1.16.4.19

Out uBlock Origin Legacy v.1.16.4.20. March 17, 2020

• Add support for all filter option

• Add support for doc filter option

• Make filter syntax converter process all filters except explicitly excluded

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

• 2 months later...

I added an additional list of malware content:

urlhaus-filter (Online Domains)

8oe40AFv_t.jpg

The 3 predefined malware lists don't seem very efficient.
"Malware Domain List" also blocks links from 2017 that have been inactive for some time.
"Malware domains" can easily be replaced by DNS blocking.

I deleted the "Spam404" list (Phishing) because many links are blocked by DNS or inactive.

I also deleted the "NoCoin Filter List".

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

Raymond Hill is also considering removing the default "Malware Domains" rules in UBO in favor of more up-to-date lists.
The urlhaus-filter list is taken into due consideration.
I modified my lists in UBO for better performance for the developed browsers of Roytam1 which, like the derivative versions, lack Google Safe Browsing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

uBlockO legacy v1.16.4.24 Released (July 24, 2020)

Though I don't use MVPN HOSTS list,the modification of the protocol seems to prevent the updating of the list:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/commit/bb1a9c4f60d3f4d60fae2b9194f32b191a0b8e71

Edited by Sampei.Nihira