uBlock Origin, Chromium 54 and Firefox 52.9 ESR

Thanks for the detailed background explanation @Mathwiz!
So, is there any disadvantage with using 1.17.4, which presumably will not now update any more on FF 52 ESR?
As long as it's still getting block list updates does it matter that 1.16.4.18 is actually later code?
Have any security flaws been patched which are in 1.17.4 for instance?
Cheers, Dave.
:)

14 hours ago, Dave-H said:

So, is there any disadvantage with using 1.17.4, which presumably will not now update any more on FF 52 ESR?
As long as it's still getting block list updates does it matter that 1.16.4.18 is actually later code?
Have any security flaws been patched which are in 1.17.4 for instance?

1.17.4 very old release (Dec 2018) and it does not correctly handle current rules in filters. There is no point in using 1.17.4 on FF 52, Palemoon, Basilisk and other Gecko/Goanna browsers. RU AdList author & maintainer said (Google translated):

"... uBlock Origin v1.17.4 is basically incompatible with FF 52.9, like any other Gecko versions of Firefox. As I recall, it drops 100% of the scriptlet rules ..."

Specially for Gecko / Goanna browsers, there is a separate uBO 1.16.4.xx branch, which the author (gorhill) maintains in an up-to-date state. Latest version 1.16.4.18 was released Feb 17, 2020.

Edited by Dr. Drill

Thanks, again good to know more of the background to this.
I've uninstalled 1.17.4 and installed 1.16.4.18 instead.
Seems to be working fine except for the annoying warning in the add-ons list that it can't be verified.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:11 PM, Dave-H said:

Aside from the WebRTC blocking feature I mentioned (which may not be an issue for you; it probably matters only to users behind, e.g., corporate firewalls), the only major change was Convert new shorthands back to legacy syntax when fetching filter lists using firefox-legacy (pull request by JustOff). Basically the syntax for filter lists was updated recently, so older uBO versions like 1.17.4 won't understand filters with the new syntax.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:05 AM, Dave-H said:

Seems to be working fine except for the annoying warning in the add-ons list that it can't be verified.

If you don't want to install Classic Theme Restorer, you can still suppress those warnings by following @VistaLover's instructions here:

Thank you.
1.16.4.18 seems to be still working fine.
I've also suppressed the warnings in the add-ons list using an addition to the userContent.css file I was already using to get the videos on Instagram to display.

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

23 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thank you.
1.16.4.18 seems to be still working fine.
I've also suppressed the warnings in the add-ons list using an addition to the userContent.css file I was already using to get the videos on Instagram to display.

can you show what how where you did that as i see in UBO 1.17 you can't see to add filters

You need to add the following code in a file called userContent.css in the Chrome folder within your Firefox profile folder.
You may need to create it in Notepad or whatever if it doesn't already exist. Make sure it has a .css extension, not a 'txt extension!

@-moz-document 
url-prefix(chrome://mozapps/content/extensions/extensions.xul),
url-prefix(about:addons) {
 .warning {
  visibility: collapse !important;
 }
}

Credit for this to @VistaLover.

i don't see a folder called chrome in either main install folder or the profile folder

do I create a folder called chrome in the profile folder ?

i take it this is where it goes

Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\frbggthb.default-1582150475918\chrome\userChrome.css

then the file userContent.css

with the above you posted

sorry for being a bit vague n stupid here

Edited by DrWho3000

On 2/19/2020 at 3:38 PM, Dr. Drill said:

there is a separate uBO 1.16.4.xx branch, which the author (gorhill) maintains in an up-to-date state. Latest version 1.16.4.18 was released Feb 17, 2020.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, Dave-H said:

I've uninstalled 1.17.4 and installed 1.16.4.18 instead.

I think latest version 1.16.4.18 has a mistake. I wrote about it in topic about roytam browsers.