uBlock Origin, Chromium 54 and Firefox 52.9 ESR

1.17.4 is also the latest for @roytam1's Basilisk 52 build. (Basilisk 55 went up to 1.18.2 last I checked.) But I downgraded to 1.16.4.7 (for reasons I explained in the New Moon thread). I also had to disable automatic updates to keep Basilisk from updating uBO again.

I'll give 1.16.4.8 a try.

Edit: Looks like the only difference is the addition of Spanish. Everything else still working as before AFAICS.

Edited by Mathwiz

If you open the uBlock0_1.18.*.firefox.xpi file with the archiver, open the manifest.json file with a notepad, and change the line "strict_min_version": "55.0", to "strict_min_version": "52.0", then the extension can be set to 52 ESR (with disabled extension signature verification) or Basilisk 52 .

14 hours ago, ED_Sln said:

If you open the uBlock0_1.18.*.firefox.xpi file with the archiver, open the manifest.json file with a notepad, and change the line "strict_min_version": "55.0", to "strict_min_version": "52.0", then the extension can be set to 52 ESR (with disabled extension signature verification) or Basilisk 52 .

Come to think of it, I remember @VistaLover mentioning that too. (The drawback is, you have to redo that for every new update.) But I rolled back to legacy for other reasons anyway.

11 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Hi.

If Gorhill entered this limitation,I suppose the last build will work badly in Firefox 52.

There's a simple workaround:

On 1/21/2019 at 7:28 PM, VistaLover said:

... uB0 support reddit:

... in the end of the thread the author revealed that he had to increase "strict_min_version" (inside extension's manifest.json) to "55.0", because he started using the Web API requestIdleCallback. So, latest dev version 1.17.7rc2 won't install in Bk52 :realmad:

I've done some research and have discovered at least two discrepancies here:

1. For some inexplicable reason, Firefox versions 52.0.2 and 53.0.3 (release channel) as well as 52.9.0 (ESR channel) do not honor the "strict_min_version": "55.0" requirement and version uB0 1.17.7rc2 has no problem installing and working there...

2. While the MDN documentation states that window.requestIdleCallback() is "Implemented but disabled by default" in Firefox v53-55, I found boolean pref "dom.requestIdleCallback.enabled" extant (but defaulted to false) in all 3 mentioned Firefox versions (52.0.2, 52.9.0, 53.0.3); so, at least in theory, Firefox >=52.0 already meets the new requirement by @gorhill, provided the user manually flips "dom.requestIdleCallback.enabled" to true....

• 1 month later...

(W)TL;DR:

Some sites were able to detect legacy versions of uBO but not WE versions. Obviously a problem for those of us who prefer the legacy version.

A new legacy version of uBO, 1.16.4.10, fixes this issue. Legacy uBO users, please update.

After doing so, you must back up, then restore your settings (uBO Dashboard / Settings tab / Back up to file & Restore from file (at bottom of Settings tab) in order to load the new legacy-specific rules.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The latest version of the content blocker uBlock Origin for the Mozilla Firefox web browser includes a new feature to detect a new first-party tracking method that some sites have started to use recently...........

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/11/20/ublock-origin-for-firefox-addresses-new-first-party-tracking-method/

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/780

......The webext API `dns` is available in Firefox 60+ only...........

So it won't be available for the browsers we use with XP.

I did a test with the website today:

https://www.liberation.fr/

but I no longer find the unblockable tracker as Raymond Hill.

With f7ds.liberation.fr I get:

mcaiHY4e_o.jpg

Nanobot elsewhere recommends adding the following list to solve the problem:

List to add to your blocker:

https://hostfiles.frogeye.fr/firstparty-only-trackers-hosts.txt

Added to my UBO:

UqSRwZXJ_o.jpg

Edited by Sampei.Nihira