uBlock Origin, Chromium 54 and Firefox 52.9 ESR

18 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Yes Raymond is certainly more available

Well, I "certainly" don't want to steal any thunder away from @gorhill (aka Raymond Hill), but he wasn't involved in any of the legwork :whistle: ; the actual fix was committed by another dev, GitHub member @gwarser, all "Raymond" had to do was accept and merge a pull request...

Still, that's indeed way better compared to many other extension devs, who have washed their hands off of XUL code... At the end of the day, legacy uBlock0 received an enhancement feature and that's what matters... :yes:

On 10/16/2018 at 7:14 AM, VistaLover said:

Versions of uBlock Origin > 1.16.20=1.16.18 for Google Chrome now require Chrome version >=52.0; Advanced Chrome will advertise itself on Google Store as v54.20.6530.0, so it will allow the download and install of latest version of uBlock0; but because, in essence, AdvChr is Chrome v48.0+51.0, it does not support the Javascript functions of uBlock0 > 1.16.20 (as already explained by heinoganda).

The problem with Google Store is, unlike the Firefox extensions repository (AMO), that it does not offer previous versions of an extension, so once you upgrade to a non-working version of an extension, you can't revert back (at least easily) :realmad:

Chromium will allow for installation of unsigned extensions, so installing from uBlock0's GitHub repo is an option in this case; while in developer mode, you can convert the github downloaded 1.16.20 zip file into a proper .crx one:

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/c5a80c4a

In the case of Google Chrome 49 (and 50, for Vista users), you should be stuck at version 1.16.18 (IDK whether v1.16.20, identical to 1.16.18, was properly released in Google Store), so no problem with upgrading to an incompatible version there; but what if you want to install uBlock0 v1.16.18 for the first time/re-install?

Release branch Chrome will disable any non-signed extension (i.e. not coming from their store), even installed during dev mode, at next browser restart :angry:; I have managed to track down a signed version of uBlock0 v1.16.18, at the admin's discretion, I have uploaded it to:

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/dff0eb77

Maybe @sdfox7 is interested in permanently archiving it onto his server... ;)

This is a limitation of the legacy version of uBlock0 v1.16.4.4 (XUL) installable on Pale (New) Moon; while I find that some sites work OK (e.g. https://adblockplus.org/subscriptions), the one you linked to requires a more recent, WebExtension, version of uBlock0; but, as you probably know, you can manually install from there by copying raw filter URLs (Details -> View) :yes:

@VistaLover

I have uploaded this to my FTP here (I left the original file name intact): http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/uBlock0.chromium.zip

If needed, Firefox extension is here (http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/uBlock0.firefox.xpi) and source code is here: (http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/uBlock-1.16.20.zip)

By the way, I personally think ad blockers can create more hassle than they're worth, since more and more sites can now detect when you're running one. That creates additional problems as they prompt you with pop-ups to disable your ad blocker!

Edited by sdfox7
add link for Firefox extension and also the source code

11 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I have uploaded this to my FTP here (I left the original file name intact): http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/uBlock0.chromium.zip

... Thanks, but what you have uploaded to your server is the GitHub hosted "zip" version of uBlock0 1.16.20 (which, to my knowledge, is unlikely to vanish from there ;) ); what I have politely asked you to archive in your FTP is the signed (originally offered by Google Store) version of uBlock 1.16.18 (uploaded by myself to datafilehost ) which is very hard to harvest currently from the web and is the version that would install normally and work OK with release branch Google Chrome 49+50... Will you be kind enough to do so? 

11 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

By the way, I personally think ad blockers can create more hassle than they're worth, since more and more sites can now detect when you're running one. That creates additional problems as they prompt you with pop-ups to disable your ad blocker!

... And that is precisely why there exist anti-Adblock filter lists and userscripts, that should prevent sites from asking you to disable your adblocker! 

I am now posting with @roytam1's Serpent 55.0.0 web browser (on WinVista 32-bit) that allows many webextensions to be installed, so I am running uBlock0 v1.17.1b2 there...

In 3rd-party-filter-lists, I have enabled the innate Adblock Warning Removal list, plus I have also installed and enabled the following custom lists: AAK-Cont Filter For uBlock Origin and AdBlock Protector 2 List for uBlock Origin.

You also need a userscript extension, I already have Violentmonkey installed here (in New Moon you should install Greasemonkey for Pale Moon) and then install the AAK-Cont Userscript For uBlock Origin

Granted my setup does not cover all cases, but I'd say it works for 90% :yes: of these obnoxious sites that demand an adblocker switch-off :realmad: ... I have to disable my adblocker sometimes willingly during troubleshooting, frankly I can not stand one mere minute without it! (same goes for my old hardware - CPU + integrated GPU - which suffers spikes from all these ad-playing videos/iframes/popups all over the place... )

I understand many sites rely on ad income, I selectively whitelist those ones I want to support (e.g. MSFN) in my adblocker's settings; most of them are not of the malicious-type ones that insist on shoving down your throat every ad that exists on the internet, not to mention the coin-mining ones... :realmad:

Thanks for your efforts Stephen into archiving anything XP valuable :worship: ... I'd wish there existed someone else doing similar things for the Vista OS, but I understand the chance of that is infinitesimal

42 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

I tried opening that file (https://www.datafilehost.com/d/dff0eb77) and it looks suspicious.

... Nothing suspicious if you visit the site with your adblocker ON (uBlock0 legacy 1.16.4.5 in my case, New Moon 28.2.0a1 32-bit 2018-10-12); you should click on the gray button with DOWNLOAD inside it, not anything/anywhere else! Filesize is ca. 2.2MB, filename is uBlock0-1_16_18_0.crx; it has already been downloaded 8 times (at the time of writing), so you should be able to fetch it yourself, too ;)

eDbz7AS.jpg

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Nothing suspicious if you visit the site with your adblocker ON (uBlock0 legacy 1.16.4.5 in my case, New Moon 28.2.0a1 32-bit 2018-10-12); you should click on the gray button with DOWNLOAD inside it, not anything/anywhere else! Filesize is ca. 2.2MB, filename is uBlock0-1_16_18_0.crx; it has already been downloaded 8 times (at the time of writing), so you should be able to fetch it yourself, too ;)

eDbz7AS.jpg

That's the button I clicked, and after you click 'open' or 'run', you will get the window that I posted the screenshot of. It wants to install Flash Player which seems suspicious.

@sdfox7

Let me be absolutely clear: I, of course, am not doubting here your file downloading skills :):D, it's just that I have to stress ONCE MORE the imperative necessity the file hosting site be accessed with an enabled adblocker; the adblocker will thwart any site attempts to offer "suggested software" downloads (in your case, a "purportedly" outdated version of the Adobe Flash Player stub installer) and proceed straight to the requested file download (as is shown in my screenshot :yes:); in some cases, you might have to press the DOWNLOAD button a second time to be presented with a "save file" prompt (depends on browser setting); you fail to disclose the type of browser and adblock used in your downloading attempts :unsure:; I only mean to help here, not cause you additional trouble... 

The uBlock0 file has been downloaded till now a total of 14 times, in the worst-case-scenario, some good person can re-upload it to a new hoster you feel more comfortable with (e.g. MEGA, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc - I don't have accounts with any of them ATM :} )

Best regards and apologies for any inconvenience caused...

16 hours ago, VistaLover said:

@sdfox7

Let me be absolutely clear: I, of course, am not doubting here your file downloading skills :):D,

Allow me to doubt your uploading skills, however :w00t: :ph34r:.

Out of tens, hundreds or maybe thousands of free file hosting sites that work just fine, you chose one that needs to be accessed with an adblocker on?

If one has  ublock 1.18 than he/she download ublock 1.18, nice Catch 22.

Anyway, with the simpler QTweb and javascript off the file is downloadable just fine, and I just re-uploaded it to a non-sucking free host file:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=26973106326766156236

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

This might be interesting to people, who have been claiming that uBO no longer works under chrome 49/50, I've decided to install uBO 1.17.4 under Opera 37 (based on Chromium 50) to see, if it really is broken, and.. it seems to block ads just fine.

ubo.thumb.png.0ee1ab4540bc269aa7f0eacfbf39da56.png

Now I don't know if it's because I'm using Opera, but I feel like it should work on other chrome based browsers available for XP/Vista as well (not sure they are that different though). So to me it looks like the issue some people here had in october was only a temporary one? Not really sure about that either.

Edited by Tamris

For Google Chrome 49 (Chromium 49), I was able to convince μBlock 1.17.4, but I modified the file manifest.json ("minimum_chrome_version": "49.0") and the file "asset-viewer.js" from the μBlock version 1.16.20 taken from the js directory. 

Download from https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

Run custom version in developer mode under Extensions.

CH49-UBLOCK1174.jpg

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Weird, I got it working without having to modify any files. Oh well, maybe I should've tried that on a Chromium 49 based browser as well. Will edit this post if my test comes up with the same results.

Edit: Seems that @heinoganda is right, you have to do what he did in order to get the latest version of uBO from Chrome Store running under regular Chrome/Chromium, however, Opera seems to be an exception since I was able to install the latest version of uBO in both version 36 and 37 without having to modify any files, though in its case you need a separate addon that lets you install extensions from Chrome Store, since uBO in Opera's own store seems to be an older version (1.17.0 as of writing this post, or rather, editing it), but once it gets updated there, it should install without having to modify any file as well (and block ads properly).

Edited by Tamris

Try to open a filter in the filter lists, the μBlock internal script "asset-viewer.js" will be executed. Here, the screen should not be left blank. Under Chromium 49 (Google Chrome 49), the script "asset-viewer.js" does not work anymore from μBlock 1.17.0.

CH49-UBLOCK1174av.jpg

:)

• 1 month later...