Restoring Windows 10

tlcmd

Howdy, 78 year old man here who is running a dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 and planning to upgrade to LMDE3 shortly (as soon as our family refugees from power loss due to Michel leave so I can devote uninterrupted  time to doing my computer upgrades and maintenance).

I HAVE A hp COMPUTER WITH A 2 TB HDD AND A QUAD CORE ATHLON CHIP. ORIGINALLY PURCHASED WITH WINDOWS 8 INSTALLED, BUT UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 10 WHILE IT WE AVAILABLE FREE. 

MY QUESTION: IF i RESTORE FROM THE RESTORE PARTITION, WILL IT GO BACK TO WINDOWS 8 OR REMAIN A WINDOWS 10 OPERATING SYSTEM??

It is just full of junk and garbage that I would like to clean up. My files are backed up on an external HDD.  I'd really just like to clean up my Windows 10 to the basics and then add back my files and programs.

I do plan to, as mentioned above, replace LMDE2 Mate with LMDE3 Cinnamon.

Thanks for any comments, answers, snide remarks, etc.

tlcmd

Greensboro, N.C.

if the boot partition is on that hdd u gonna restore to, it will change the boot to what it restored

if not then what the boot priority in the bios is set will make the boot

the second case is more common

Edited by aviv00

On 10/14/2018 at 6:56 AM, tlcmd said:

BUT UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 10 WHILE IT WE AVAILABLE FREE. 

This means it was more than a month ago, MS give you 30 days to let you go back to your previous OS, after that period all related files/folders to previous OS are deleted.

On 10/14/2018 at 6:56 AM, tlcmd said:

IF i RESTORE FROM THE RESTORE PARTITION, WILL IT GO BACK TO WINDOWS 8 OR REMAIN A WINDOWS 10 OPERATING SYSTEM?

If restore partition is from HP and it is still there (undamaged), It is the usual way you can bring back your equipment to the initial state (as purchased), better make an external backup of all your documents, pictures, music, videos, etc., before doing this, since if they are located on same drive that will be restored they will be lost as the drive will be formated and initial image of OS will be deployed on it.

Even if infrequent, there is always the possibility of some corrupt files/folders on restore partition that could make the procedure fail. I wish you good luck.

Best regards

alacran

On 10/14/2018 at 5:56 AM, tlcmd said:

Howdy, 78 year old man here who is running a dual boot with Windows 10 and Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 and planning to upgrade to LMDE3 shortly (as soon as our family refugees from power loss due to Michel leave so I can devote uninterrupted  time to doing my computer upgrades and maintenance).

I HAVE A hp COMPUTER WITH A 2 TB HDD AND A QUAD CORE ATHLON CHIP. ORIGINALLY PURCHASED WITH WINDOWS 8 INSTALLED, BUT UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 10 WHILE IT WE AVAILABLE FREE. 

MY QUESTION: IF i RESTORE FROM THE RESTORE PARTITION, WILL IT GO BACK TO WINDOWS 8 OR REMAIN A WINDOWS 10 OPERATING SYSTEM??

It is just full of junk and garbage that I would like to clean up. My files are backed up on an external HDD.  I'd really just like to clean up my Windows 10 to the basics and then add back my files and programs.

I do plan to, as mentioned above, replace LMDE2 Mate with LMDE3 Cinnamon.

Thanks for any comments, answers, snide remarks, etc.

tlcmd

Greensboro, N.C.

Lots of posts but no direct answer was given to you.

You don't need to use the recovery partition if it still exists. It will most likely reinstall your Windows 8 installation.

You clearly state that you really just want to clean up your Windows 10 install.

It's easy to do this!

• Open Settings
  • Click Update & Security
  • On the left side, click Recovery in the left pane.
  • In the right pane, under the Reset this PC section at the top, it will say "If your PC isn't running well, resetting it might help. This lets you choose to keep your personal files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows."
  • Just below Reset this PC, click the Get Started button. Windows will walk you through the rest. You won't need your Windows key either.

Hope this helps you out.