Advice on viewing some sites - IE 8

rockmaster113

Hello, i'm hoping to get a little help reguarding viewing of just a few websites in Internet Explorer 8. First of all, i've spent a couple hours reading through many topics here such as

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175170-root-certificates-and-revoked-certificates-for-windows-xp/

Or some others related to TLS and im totally just lost at what to do or what specific update i must install. I would like to view just only a couple sites properly like https://mobile.twitter.com - or yahoo mail for example

yahoo worked just fine until only a few months ago where it's just only "page cant be displayed" - while mobile twitter works ..but the images are always broken squares. - If i manually get the link of an image for example, and paste it in the browser by deleteing the "s" in https ...the image loads. otherwise ...page cant be displayed ..hence why most of twitter looks like this:

https://i.imgur.com/ikhrNzU.png

Please forgive my complete newbie-ness here. :(This is the first time i've ever looked at this forum before, and i dont know if my issue is reguarding the "root certficates" stuff ...if it's because it needs TLS 1.1 and 1.2 ...if im supposed to get 1 very specific "posready 2009" thing or something...im just all confused. :( I'm on windows xp pro, SP 3 - not the embedded whatever thing

Bottom line is wondering if it's possible for some websites like "mobile" twitter to be viewed properly in IE 8 "today", i dont need "everything" supported. I know youtube doesn't work anymore ... viewing most things works (just not videos) ..so i go to firefox for that.

Edited by rockmaster113

PM @heinoganda and ask for his latest version of ProxHTTPSProxy. I believe he also has instructions on setting it up.

I just tried https://mobile.twitter.com in an IE tab, and with ProxHTTPSProxy it came up fine, images and all.

Edit: BTW if you enable the POSReady '09 updates, there are updates to IE8 that let it support some of what you need (specifically TLS 1.2 and the AES cipher) without ProxHTTPSProxy. But ProxHTTPSProxy supports all that whether or not you enable the POSReady '09 updates.

Edited by Mathwiz

Okay, i've sent a message to him and ..i think i'd be more interesting in taking a update because i looked around here after you mentioned "proxhttpsproxy" and that looks way too overly complicated ...having to downloading addition prorgrams like python or openssl ...having to setup proxy IP addresses and ...it's way too much for me to comprehend when all im interested in is just only getting a couple sites "here and there" viewing properly. :(

I think a regular update (hopefully not too confusing) would probably be way more painless and simple to deal with. Assuming it would add an option(s) to the IE Setting's Advanced column.

I did try looking at some other forum topics on this board...and i've seen at least 4 different kb[number] updates related to this and i just dont know which one(s) is right.

Edited by rockmaster113

it's way too much for me to comprehend when all im interested in is just only getting a couple sites "here and there" viewing properly

For that purpose you can simply use another browser. Enough forked alternatives available yet on XP. Why does it have to be IE8, which is too complicated to get to handle TLS1.2?

16 hours ago, rockmaster113 said:

Okay, i've sent a message to him and ..i think i'd be more interesting in taking a update because i looked around here after you mentioned "proxhttpsproxy" and that looks way too overly complicated ...having to downloading addition prorgrams like python or openssl ...having to setup proxy IP addresses and ...it's way too much for me to comprehend when all im interested in is just only getting a couple sites "here and there" viewing properly. :(

I think a regular update (hopefully not too confusing) would probably be way more painless and simple to deal with. Assuming it would add an option(s) to the IE Setting's Advanced column.

I did try looking at some other forum topics on this board...and i've seen at least 4 different kb[number] updates related to this and i just dont know which one(s) is right.

He has a precompiled version. Everything is built into the .exe. No need to install Python or OpenSSL.

But if you'd prefer to try the updates, they are:

1. KB3055973 (adds AES to the base OS);
  2. KB4019276  (downloadinfo; adds TLS 1.2 to the base OS); and
  3. the latest IE8 cumulative update (KB4462949; updates IE8 to use the support added by 1 & 2).

All are POSReady '09 updates. I think there's a way to install them without putting the POSReady entry in the registry, but it's probably more complicated than just going with POSReady.

Also, those updates may not be enough. There is still no support for Elliptic Curve Cryptography, so any sites that use it won't work even with all the POSReady updates. ProxHTTPSProxy replaces native support completely, so it supports ECC and can be updated to support any other new security requirements, such as TLS 1.3.

But I agree with @siria. There's no "simple" update for IE8. If you want simple, just use Firefox 52.9 ESR and be done with it.

Edited by Mathwiz

4 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

But if you'd prefer to try the updates, they are:

1. KB3055973 (adds AES to the base OS);
  2. KB4019276  (downloadinfo; adds TLS 1.2 to the base OS); and
  3. the latest IE8 cumulative update (KB4462949; updates IE8 to use the support added by 1 & 2).

Only KB4019276 and current cumulative update for IE8 (KB4462949) is needed! KB3055973 was replaced by KB3081320 and KB3081320 by KB4019276. Following the settings for the registry so that TLS 1.1 and 1.2 can be selected in IE8.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO\TLS1.2]
"OSVersion"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\CRYPTO\TLS1.1]
"OSVersion"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"SecureProtocols"=dword:00000a80

:)

Edited by heinoganda

Wow it all actually worked. Im glad. :) I did this in order (after mathwiz's reply, but before heinoganda mentioned not needing 1 of the updates)

installed windows installer 4.5, did the registry hack to make windows update see PosReady -- installed the the 3 updates mathwiz said in that oder --- added that registry hack heinoganda said (saw it in a different topic-post here -- and it worked. :)

websites display properly in IE now. well a couple other places like wikipedia are still "page cant be displayed" but that's fine, i don't mind that.

More importantly though ..this TLS 1.1 and 1.2 somehow got the game "mega man maker" to actually connect online now too which made me more happy. It wasn't designed for windows xp understandably, "only" it's online connectivity didn't work at all.

I noticed in Process Explorer, "schannel.dll" was loaded into the program. So that must be why it now works and will play online normally now. :)

Edited by rockmaster113

On 12/1/2016 at 1:58 PM, Mathwiz said:

One more thing. If you use IE8 with secure websites, you should probably consider disabling the old RC2 and RC4 cipher and MD5 hash algorithms. I've attached a .reg file to do that.

Disable insecure algorithms.reg

You should also uncheck "Use SSL 2.0" and "Use SSL 3.0" in Internet Options / Advanced under Security. Nobody uses those anymore (unless they're trying an exploit).

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

You should also uncheck "Use SSL 2.0" and "Use SSL 3.0" in Internet Options / Advanced under Security. Nobody uses those anymore (unless they're trying an exploit).

With the registry entries only TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 has been activated.

:)