[failed] dlink dwa 525 a2 (pci 11n wifi on ralink rt5360f) and 9x?

MERCURY127

The oldest driver package D-Link has listed for this device (1.00) of course contained only 2K+ files. However it uses DRT2860.SYS. I believe D-Link adds the "D" to the beginning of drivers, as the Internal file name for the driver is RT2860.SYS. For the heck of it I searched for "RT28609X.SYS" which led me back here to MSFN. Did we ever get a definitive answer as to whether or not the RT28609X.SYS file discussed in that linked thread works (and/or works for later RT2860 devices)? :unsure:

Would be nice to see the exact device ID of the exact card you have @MERCURY127 WikiDevi says it's PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_5360.

The drivers mentioned in the topic @LoneCrusader mentioned from here: https://www.download3k.com/Install-Asus-ET1602-Wireless-LAN-Driver.html support only PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0601 and PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0681. Those are RT2800 PCI and RT2890 PCIe chipsets respectively.

Those are dated 2007, and I'm pretty sure Ralink would not bother with 9x drivers after 2007, I think only Realtek kept making 9x drivers after 2007 until 2008.

WikiDevi also says the RT5360 chipset was approved by the FCC at the end of 2009. Seeing as the earliest drivers on the D-Link drivers are from 2010, I'm pretty sure those are the earliest ones.

So I think those older Ralink chipsets are supported, but not newer ones under 9x.

As a side note, I really would not bet on any official 9x drivers with devices manufactured after 2008 (not counting unofficial ones like the AHCI driver)

Should have written it would be a dead end for me, I'm not experienced enough (though want to be!) to directly modify .sys files :)

Still don't understand how would that driver work, if it's made before the RT5360 even existed...unless you have a way to import stuff from the 2010 driver to the 2007 one :dubbio:

i not sure that it work now. my system now wont boot, i have bsod with VFAT error, instaed normal boot wiith code 10 yesterday.

so, if anyone interesting, here is my patched RT28609X.SYS:
9A904 -> 01 06 00 00 - first devid (now 60 53) - dword,
9A908 -> 81 06 00 00 - sec devid - dword,
9A90C -> 14 18 00 00 - realtek vid - dword.

so u can write here own device for testing ur wifi cards.

20181010001.1539178661.png

2860.zip

You made the driver think you have a RT2800, so it installed and now initializes upon boot causing the VFAT problem.

Gigabit Ethernet often causes VFAT to crash, this is why I added the /M option to my Patch.

No guarantees that the Driver will actually work.

last result (after using /m switch, or limiting of memory other methods):

- vfat bsod now gone;
- driver now is loaded successfully, w/o any errors;
- Odyssey see wifi card, provided by driver;
- but after scanning, list of networks remain empty. :(

i think, it is all. THE END.
but u can try this method (patching sys for vid/pid) with other (not so new) ralink pci cards.

Edited by MERCURY127

• MERCURY127 changed the title to [failed] dlink dwa 525 a2 (pci 11n wifi on ralink rt5360f) and 9x?