The usb does not work in Windows 2000 (Intel 3rd Gen)

I am trying to install Windows 2000 on modern hardware on a 2nd / 3rd processor, on an LGA1155. Burn Windows 2000 SP4 on a CD-RW there all right. But when booting and comes the part of choosing the hard drive / partition keyboard did not work and what I think is a problem with USB. If someone tries to install Windows 2000 on LGA1155 and succeed or Blackwingcat tells me how to install it without that problem.

My PS / 2 ports are damaged and the keyboard I have is cabled and it is USB 2.0, it says it works according to the box in Windows ME / 2000 / XP / Vista / 7.

You are experiencing a problem that has existed for W2k Pro on the last several generations of hardware.  I have worked through this on Z77, Z87, Z97 and X99 platforms; the corrective steps vary with the hardware (including the mouse being used).

The solution is to use your PS/2 keyboard to enter device manager, and from there to install the USB drivers manually (the necessary drivers are already present on your machine). 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175782-ntdetect-failed-during-setup/?do=findComment&comment=1126466

In which case--if your motherboard does not have a PS/2 connector--there is no way to make your USB ports work in Windows 2000 Professional.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177140-keyboard-not-detected-at-repair-and-install/?do=findComment&comment=1146027

Edited by bluebolt

If I have "USB Legacy Emulation" enabled, I press F6 to load the SATA driver and works, in the installations of Windows NT 4 2000 XP always load the drivers integrated in the CD, for me the USB driver that comes in the W2KSP4 is not compatible with my chispet:(

Edited by 2kwindowspowered
Bad answered

When attempting to install W2K Pro on modern Intel hardware, the OS tries (unsuccessfully) to use that hardware's newer USB drivers.  You need to force it to use the older USB drivers.  In order to do that, you need to hook up your keyboard to the PS/2 port, thereby to enter Device Manager (by pressing the Start key and the Break/Pause key at the same time, or by pressing the Start key and R to run "devmgmt.msc"), and force Device Manager to the other USB drivers.

This screenshot comes from installing W2K Pro on a Z77/LGA 1155 motherboard:

USB_on_W2_K_Pro.jpg

Windows 2000 Professional defaults to the highlighted driver, which it considers to be "a suitable driver [that] is already installed".  It needs to be directed to the alternative drivers in order to achieve USB function.

Edited by bluebolt

27 minutes ago, bluebolt said:

When attempting to install W2K Pro on modern Intel hardware, the OS tries (unsuccessfully) to use that hardware's newer USB drivers.  You need to force it to use the older USB drivers.  In order to do that, you need to hook up your keyboard to the PS/2 port, thereby to enter Device Manager (by pressing the Start key and the Break/Pause key at the same time, or by pressing the Start key and R to run "devmgmt.msc"), and force Device Manager to the other USB drivers.

This screenshot comes from installing W2K Pro on a Z77/LGA 1155 motherboard:

USB_on_W2_K_Pro.jpg

Windows 2000 Professional defaults to the highlighted driver, which it considers to be "a suitable driver [that] is already installed".  It needs to be directed to the alternative drivers in order to achieve USB function.

This doesn't seem to make good sense. Both of those devices should point to the same install section in the USB (or USB2) INF file (and thus operate exactly the same way). Windows 2000 probably should not even have a reference to "Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family" unless it has been modified. :blink:

Are you using unmodified sources to do the installation?

(Note the OP of this thread has been banned, so we can't expect more responses from him. But this is a strange problem that bears further examination.)

4 hours ago, 2kwindowspowered said:

If I have "USB Legacy Emulation" enabled, I press F6 to load the SATA driver and works, in the installations of Windows NT 4 2000 XP always load the drivers integrated in the CD, for me the USB driver that comes in the W2KSP4 is not compatible with my chispet:(

Aha. "drivers integrated in the CD"

Sounds like a slipstream gone bad. In my experience making unofficial INF files for Windows 9x for the various newer Intel chipsets I noted that for whatever reason Intel includes a "null driver" INF for newer USB chipsets that essentially does absolutely nothing other than name the controller. It doesn't even attempt to correctly load a driver. It sounds like in this case and what bluebolt describes that this "null" USB INF file has been included when slipstreaming Intel chipset driver packages. These "null" INFs should be purged from any slipstream, and then the normal default driver would be used as expected. If one really, really wants the controllers specifically named, then the VID & PID and name text string from the null INF(s) can be added to the original 2K INF, pointing to the correct install section of course!

10 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Are you using unmodified sources to do the installation?

When this problem first came up five-and-a-half years ago, tomasz86 similarly suggested trying a clean W2K/SP4 source (no INFs or drivers integrated with the CD), but there was still no USB function.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000-wip/?do=findComment&comment=1033054

I don't remember what it looked like in Device Manager, it's been so long.  I may try it again and take a look.  This issue has been posted about a number of times over the years, going back to even (slightly) earlier hardware, and it is a strange one.

I would have thought that if it could be dealt with by modifying the INFs, blackwingcat would have done so in his custom infinst, but that is just conjecture, and I don't know of his ever having addressed this issue.

Edited by bluebolt

• 3 years later...

I am also trying to install windows 2000 on a modern PC. Keyboard works perfectly fine until i get to the first setup screen. Then it completley stops working. I am installing from CD on a HP computer. What do i do?