XP Power Options

risk_reversal

Hi guys,

I recently built a new dual boot system (XP & Win7), my first using multi core cpu (AMD FX 6300, 6 core). This cpu runs at stock speed of 3.5Ghz with a boost level to 3.8Ghz (this cpu in fact has a secondary boost speed to 4.1Ghz using only 2 cores).

I have a question about 'Power Options'.

Do any of the XP 'Power Schemes' do anything from a cpu point of view ie if I select 'always on' should this have a direct impact on cpu speed such that my cpu will be locked at 3.8Ghz, Equally would using 'Laptop / Portable' allow for a speedstep ie adaptive.

I have tried all the Power Schemes and nothing really happens. The only way that I can change the cpu clock speed is by going into the bios and disabling 'Core CPU Performance' in which case the cpu just runs at 3.5Ghz only.

I found the link below but that doesn't seem to affect cpu speed.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/start-04.html

Any info appreciated

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal

A amd processor driver was required to change the processor speed (amdk8.sys) back then.

Date: 10/02/2007
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/amd_k8_processor_driver.html

The old driver may work or fail at the FX cpu.

3 hours ago, cdob said:

A amd processor driver was required to change the processor speed (amdk8.sys) back then.

Date: 10/02/2007
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/amd_k8_processor_driver.html

The old driver may work or fail at the FX cpu.

Most kind.

So without this driver, do you have any idea how this particular processor (or indeed any other multicore, speedstep) will behave.

It currently seems to be stuck mostly at it's 1st boost level ie 3.8Ghz according to HWMonitor.

Cheers

9 hours ago, risk_reversal said:

So without this driver, do you have any idea how this particular processor (or indeed any other multicore, speedstep) will behave.

It currently seems to be stuck mostly at it's 1st boost level ie 3.8Ghz according to HWMonitor.

Without the driver the cpu runs at full speed. Power scheme cannot reduce the speed, there is no cpu power driver.
I guess stock speed 3.5 Ghz, I don't know  Fx cpu details, hence 3.8 Ghz is possible too.

Try the driver.

4 hours ago, cdob said:

Without the driver the cpu runs at full speed. Power scheme cannot reduce the speed, there is no cpu power driver.
I guess stock speed 3.5 Ghz, I don't know  Fx cpu details, hence 3.8 Ghz is possible too.

Try the driver.

Most kind thanks

Cheers