Does anyone still have Widevine working in XP?

DontJoinTheMilitary

At some point in the last few months, a change was made that caused Widevine to lose its ability to play DRM media in XP.

Prior to this change I had at least six different chromium-based browsers that were playing DRM media just fine in XP via the Widevine plugin.

All of those browsers are now unable to play DRM media via Widevine.

You can test your browser here: https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm or here: https://demo.castlabs.com/

I think the change that was made might be the one which was mentioned here on  2018-09-05:

"Widevine CDM for Chrome 58 (or earlier) are no longer supported."

It still works on in Google Chrome and Netflix. You can try downloading the final 1.4.8.903 version from my FTP and extracting the files to your

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM

folder. You MUST replace my user name "Stephen Fox" with whatever your computer's name is.

For more detail on this, please refer here:

On 10/7/2018 at 11:43 AM, sdfox7 said:

It still works on in Google Chrome and Netflix.

Thanks for the reply sdfox7. Could you please test yours using the links in my OP, because Google Chrome is one of the chromium-based browsers I was referring to in my OP.
This is all very recent (within the past 3 months - maybe even the past month).
DRM media suddenly stopped playing in all of the chromium-based browsers I have on my XP machine, even though Widevine is properly installed and detected by websites.

On 10/8/2018 at 7:19 PM, DontJoinTheMilitary said:

Thanks for the reply sdfox7. Could you please test yours using the links in my OP, because Google Chrome is one of the chromium-based browsers I was referring to in my OP.
This is all very recent (within the past 3 months - maybe even the past month).
DRM media suddenly stopped playing in all of the chromium-based browsers I have on my XP machine, even though Widevine is properly installed and detected by websites.

I actually did get one of the sites working. The first one seems to be having technical difficulties; it won't even download the stream. The second one (https://demo.castlabs.com/) was fine.

wv1.jpg

wv2.jpg

@sdfox7

50 minutes ago, sdfox7 said:

I actually did get one of the sites working. The first one seems to be having technical difficulties; it won't even download the stream. The second one (https://demo.castlabs.com/) was fine.

First site (bitmovin.com/demos/drm) plays under Firefox 52.9.0 ESR but says "Detected Firefox, using No-DRM" (despite of Primetime presence). DRM streams from second site (demo.castlabs.com) doesn't play in neither Chrome 49.0.2623.112 (with Widevine) nor Firefox 52.9.0 (with Primetime). Unencrypted streams all plays fine, of course, like on the screenshot in Your message. So it indeed looks like old Widevine/Primetime versions from Chrome 49.0/Firefox 52.9 are banned and not working with DRM content anymore...:(

Edited by Bersaglio

Slightly OT, but I tried Basilisk on both Win 7 and XP. Both have Primetime version 17 installed, but only the Win 7 version has Widevine (v1.4.8.903).

On Win 7, Bitmovin detects both plugins and tries to use Widevine. Unfortunately the stream stalls after 0:43 seconds have downloaded and won't play. If I disable Widevine, it detects Primetime but plays a non-DRM version of the video. Looking at the Javascript, it appears only Widevine and Playready DRM are supported.

On XP, Bitmovin doesn't detect Primetime, even though it's installed and usable for non-DRM content.

Castlabs won't play DRM versions on either platform. When a DRM stream is used, on Win 7 the "Stream Info" shows DRM Used: Loading... and stalls. On XP it stalls without the "Stream Info" box appearing at all.

Both browers are set to spoof FF 52.9 on Win 7, so it can't be a user agent difference.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 10/10/2018 at 11:28 AM, Mathwiz said:

On XP, Bitmovin doesn't detect Primetime, even though it's installed and usable for non-DRM content.

Since I started testing XP browsers early this year, Primetime hasn't been usable for playing DRM media in any browser; only Widevine. I figured it was probably because sites are simply no longer accepting Primetime and are demanding Widevine instead, but I never really looked into it.
Primetime is still useful in XP but for playing HTML5/H.264 media, but not DRM media.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...