Hi,

AeroGlass 1.5.10 crashes in 1809 with Vivaldi taskbar preview thumbnails (but not Firefox / IE / Chromium / explorer / Steam / ... ones, just for Vivaldi).

EDIT: Ok It's not only Vivaldi, sometimes Vivaldi is ok and it's because of Steam or Chromium. All the webkit-based browsers.

Edited by TroudhuK

Hello, I'm using AeroGlass on 1809 from many weeks.
I noticed that I have many crashes sometime, randomly [I can't recognize what causes the crash]
I'd like to help for have a more stable version. Can I ask where I can found logs?
Are those "minidump..." (about 500mb:huh:) in the AeroGlass folder ?

Thank you in advance ;)

2 hours ago, franDj99 said:

Hello, I'm using AeroGlass on 1809 from many weeks.
I noticed that I have many crashes sometime, randomly [I can't recognize what causes the crash]

Have you tried this? http://glass8.eu/out/rs5_17763_1564_x64dbg.7z

It's a debug version, but supposedly fixes some crashing problems that were reported.

The latest non-debug version also crashes for me occasionally, though I decided I'll just wait for the new non-debug version.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:41 PM, UCyborg said:

Does anyone else have crash reports similar to this one in their Event Logs?

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0xe52aabf3
Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.17763.168, time stamp: 0x23095d3f
Exception code: 0xe0464645
Fault offset: 0x000000000002a054
Faulting process id: 0x133c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4923d8cfce927
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\dwmcore.dll
Report Id: cf7afade-9544-4a04-87ec-69a96e95dd73
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It's not connected to Aero Glass, but I've noticed it on both Windows 10 1803 and 1809. Happens when the user session is closed (log off, shutdown, ...). And what does the exception code 0xe0464645 mean?

I still get this crash with latest debug version of AG on Win10 1809. Doesn't happen when Aero Glass is not loaded. It's possible I've terminated aerohost.exe last time without also terminating dwm.exe, so DWMGlass.dll was still loaded, hence coming to conclusion that it happens regardless of AG. I get these results both in VMware and on a real PC. Crash dumps are not generated in this scenario.

I don't see it crashing on 1803 virtual machine though...maybe I used the wrong snapshot when testing the last time.

I'm experiencing the strange issue with the latest debug version. When I login and dwm.exe has been running from when the previous session was closed due to initiating hybrid shutdown, the transparency on the top frame doesn't work. Oddly, it works on other sides (left, right and bottom). Also when this happens, when I log off, the second screen doesn't black out, the last frame of the desktop stays on it until the user is completely logged off. I guess this is when that instance of dwm.exe terminates.

BM, it's need to add UxTSB.dll injection into SystemSettings.exe

It's only a question of time, when MS remove classic personalization panel at all. So to apply themes with 3rd party visual styles via modern Personalization Panel, UxTSB.dll must be injected in it too.

The version from 12th January still doesn't work quite as it should on my end. After hybrid shutdown, DWM's state becomes corrupted; transparency doesn't work on top windows' frames and the secondary screen doesn't black out during log off. I've captured a dump of dwm.exe when it's in that state, if it helps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vfrN9Esr6hTggp1ABDOme4iCaMnY2Dkl

Also got a crash 2 days ago after PC came out of sleep; dwm.exe crashed with exception code 0xe0464645, somewhere in kernel32.dll. BTW, this bug is still a thing:whistle:

DWM crashes with this code are not Aero Glass related. It probably happens when video adapter driver is disconnected and it randomly happens even without Aero Glass for a few last Win10 builds (but it is probably less noticable without Aero Glass which has some delay when it tries to generate minidump file on crash).

About Fast Startup problem.. yes, there is some problem that Win10 behaves inconsistently between normal and fast startup. In fact, Win10 "Fast Startup" feature is one of the most buggy thing in Win10 and it is responsible for many "random" problems. For this reason, I disable it on every installation. As a workaround for current build, you could set this registry value: HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/DWM - DWORD GeometryCommand value set to 0x1cc.

4 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

DWM crashes with this code are not Aero Glass related. It probably happens when video adapter driver is disconnected and it randomly happens even without Aero Glass for a few last Win10 builds (but it is probably less noticable without Aero Glass which has some delay when it tries to generate minidump file on crash).

Then all is well as far as Aero Glass is concerned. But one big question remains, what does the exception code 0xe0464645 actually stand for? Is it even documented anywhere? I don't have Win10 SDK installed, but neither OllyDbg nor x64dbg recognize it. Maybe it's internal, perhaps even specific to DWM process.

About Fast Startup problem.. yes, there is some problem that Win10 behaves inconsistently between normal and fast startup. In fact, Win10 "Fast Startup" feature is one of the most buggy thing in Win10 and it is responsible for many "random" problems.

Win8.x are the same. I've actually seen DWM get messed up more often during fast startup sequence on Win8.1. I mentioned some oddities a long time ago in Win8.1 thread, the problem with AG unable to read its settings and screen glitches. Been lucky with Win10 in that regard, hasn't happened once so far. There also wasn't any recognizable pattern.

Makes you wonder what MS was trying to do in their fast startup code. Since you can log off and then put PC in hibernation and the end result is almost the same.

As a workaround for current build, you could set this registry value: HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/DWM - DWORD GeometryCommand value set to 0x1cc.

:thumbup

The exception code probably means nothing special. Whenever any function returns HRESULT different from S_OK, DWM throws the exception with this code. The most important is the exception structure member "ExceptionInformation" which contains HRESULT value.

Right, I didn't consider you can throw exception with arbitrary exception code. I guess other exception information isn't recorded if crash dump fails to get generated.

Out of curiosity, are you able to use any other debugging techniques except printf debugging when developing Aero Glass?

The exception information can be logged in event log, but it probably contains only value 0x8000FFFF, because the code just calls ModuleFailFastForHRESULT(0x8000FFFF) in this situation.

As to debugging, if I use virtual machine, I can connect remote debugger to it and debug the assembly normally as any other application. But for local debugging, I can use only printf logs (or dump file for crashes), because attaching the debugger to DWM stops the desktop rendering .

• 2 weeks later...

With a brand new workstation with Win 10 v1809 I had some initial instability, but when I changed from ATI to a nVidia graphics card on the 24th it's been very solid with the released version of Aero Glass.

StableV1809.png

If I'm not experiencing any problems, would it be useful/helpful to test the latest debug version?

-Noel

On 1/30/2019 at 6:20 AM, NoelC said:

With a brand new workstation with Win 10 v1809 I had some initial instability, but when I changed from ATI to a nVidia graphics card on the 24th it's been very solid with the released version of Aero Glass.

You gave up on AMD after seeing the settings application crash? :lol:

On 1/30/2019 at 6:20 AM, NoelC said:

If I'm not experiencing any problems, would it be useful/helpful to test the latest debug version?

Some stability issues have been identified in the older version, but it really depends on the applications you run. I guess it's always helpful to see if some regression hasn't sneaked in.