Firefox to Basilisk

WoodyXP

Is there anyway to import plugins, extensions, etc. used in Firefox esr52 to Basilisk?  I know you can import favorites and most plugins are just there but would like some easy way to get my extensions moved over.  Maybe move my whole profile on Firefox over to Basilisk ?  I think it might be time to abandon Firefox and go to Basilisk because it is updated regularly. Thanks!!

Edited by WoodyXP
spelling error

Here's how I did it:

First, I started Basilisk and went to about:support. Next to "Profile folder," I clicked the button labeled "Open folder." Then I closed Basilisk.

Next, I went to FF 52.9 and did the same thing.

Then I copied everything from my FF profile folder into my Basilisk profile folder.

That took care of most of it, but upon reopening Basilisk and going to the about:addons page, some of my add-ons were listed as "Incompatible with Basilisk." To fix those, I had to open the "extensions" subfolder in my FF profile folder and drag the .xpi files for the "incompatible" add-ons from the extensions folder (some were in subfolders) and drop them on the about:addons page. This reinstalled and fixed the "incompatible" add-ons.

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

I am moving to Newmoon permanently. It is lighter .

I think I will do the same, if only because I like the older UI + ability to use some of my favorite themes of yore (for example: Moonscape, which is a port of Foxscape, is one of my favorite themes, and the last time I was able to use it was 2011 or so). current FF is still decent enough on Windows 7 and up, though.

c

48 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Same procedure should work for New Moon 28. (A few add-ons may not work the same due to the different UI.)

Yes, it should. Be mindful of any Webextensions (or whatever they're called), though; PM doesn't support those.

c

I already use New Moon and Mypal.  A lot of my extensions are not available for either.  I will try Mathwiz's suggestions for moving everything from Firefox to Basilisk.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I just tried Basilisk 52 and everything moved over well. (Thanks Mathwiz) Like instructed some extensions had to be reinstalled.  However avast passwords will not work and that is what I wanted most.  It installs fine but when clicked says it needs to be activated.  Any ideas?  Also where does one get version 55 stated by Sal?

28 minutes ago, WoodyXP said:

I just tried Basilisk 52 and everything moved over well. (Thanks Mathwiz) Like instructed some extensions had to be reinstalled.  However avast passwords will not work and that is what I wanted most.  It installs fine but when clicked says it needs to be activated.  Any ideas?  Also where does one get version 55 stated by Sal?

You can get from here:

http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

New build of post-deprecated basilisk/moebius for XP!
* Notice: This repo will not be built on regular schedule, and changes are experimental as usual.
** Current moebius patch level should be on par with 52.8, but some security patches can not be applied/ported due to source milestone differences between versions.

Test binary:
Win32 http://o.rthost.cf/basilisk/basilisk55-win32-git-20180707-019ca9a53-xpmod.7z
Win64 http://o.rthost.cf/basilisk/basilisk55-win64-git-20180707-019ca9a53-xpmod.7z

Repo changes:
- fully update tzdata to 2018e (ef763f92e)
- branding: optimize PNG (d1df17ccb)
- try to sync with UXP to solve crash in msctfime. (019ca9a53)

Courtesy  of roytam1

2 hours ago, WoodyXP said:

I just tried Basilisk 52 and everything moved over well. (Thanks Mathwiz) Like instructed some extensions had to be reinstalled.  However avast passwords will not work and that is what I wanted most.  It installs fine but when clicked says it needs to be activated.  Any ideas?

Calling @FranceBB; your Avast expertise is needed

Thanks Tangy but had already performed the above steps.  It just seems to work for Firefox, Basilisk still does not activate. Also thanks for the browser download site.  It is now in favorites for future reference.

When people write to the Avast forum about how to install the password extension in a fork browser, we generally tell them to open the URL in either Chrome (if it's Chromium based) or Firefox (if it's Firefox based) and then copy the URL and use it to install the extension in the fork browser.

The Firefox version differs from the Chrome one and it's compatible with Firefox 52.9 ESR without any issues. Unfortunately, though, Chrome recently changed the way extensions are handled and the "new" extension is no longer compatible. They did it in order to improve security. If you try to load the installation page via Chrome 49 or Chromium 54, it won't simply load: it will be blank. If you try to look for the extension using the Chrome store/market using Chromium 54, the extension won't be offered/listed 'cause only the compatible ones are listed automatically by Google. Other extensions offered by Avast are offered to Chromium 54 and are still working, but keep in mind that you would be using the old version.

Anyway, keep in mind that forks are not officially supported as well as old versions of the official browsers. Besides, I no longer have any affiliation with Avast 'cause the developers that I was friend with no longer work there and I won't even be a beta tester anymore since the beta programme for XP is almost over (this year is the final year). When I asked them about the minimum Chromium version required for Avast Password to work they didn't even bother to reply as I'm now literally just a normal user.

Edited by FranceBB