Disable "Special Tasks" in XP

Tomcat76

I was wondering if there is a way to disable "Special Tasks" in Windows XP.  For folders containing pictures or videos, Windows will add a section in the left side bar named "Picture Tasks" or "Video Tasks", right above the always-present "File and Folder Tasks", "Other Places" and "Details" sections.  There are probably more types than just the ones for pictures and videos.

For several years now, I have had XP set up to display all folders in Details view (by clicking the "Apply to all folders" button after having configured one to my tastes).  This way, I don't get additional columns in the main panel of the folder if Windows decides this to be an image or video folder.  However, this doesn't prevent the "Picture Tasks" or "Video Tasks" sections from appearing.

I have found many articles on the web describing how to disable "Automatic Folder Type Discovery" on Vista and later, but the procedure doesn't appear to work for Windows XP.

I believe the way to disable the tasks is to go to Tools > Folder Options... and select "Use Windows classic folders," as shown in the following screenshot:

1996399322_FolderOptions.JPG.58773565bfc03670fcc930eae9026c52.JPG

Then, depending on how you have things set up else wise, your Explorer windows should look something like this:

1408009812_ScreenShot2018-09-28at12_17_02AM.png.38a4a4f71c29a0cf9728f7d2c9fa564e.png

No tasks!

Hope this helps :)

c

• 2 weeks later...