Weird "Item Not Found" Error

cc333

I recently installed Win7 on a OptiPlex 320, and then proceeded to do some stuff to it (unsigned themes, etc). Then I started getting this error:Capture.PNG.a3dfb6b7750fac726a862cf01bbf2320.PNG

It happens *every* time I move a folder or zip file, and clicking "try Again" dismisses the error and the folder/zip file gets moved as expected.

Subsequently, I got a new-to-me OptiPlex 390 and put Win7 on it as well. And the error wasn't occurring, until this morning. I had done everything I did to the other install, and it worked fine, until I began installing updates.

So, it would seem that an errant update may be causing the problem, but I have no clue as to which one.

So, if anyone has had this problem, could you please tell me how you solved it?

It doesn't seem to harm functionality much, but it's *super* annoying.

Thanks!

c

You will get this type of message due to Windows either performing a series of actions synchronously and some lag exists that makes the next step in the process to occur before it should. Unfortunately this will result in Windows showing you a message like this and halt whatever it was doing. I see it most often when creating a new folder, and then rename it. Trying to enter it will open a message saying "Unable to locate 'New Folder'" even though the dir doesn't have that name anymore.

My best recommendation for avoiding the message you get (and to avoid potential file corruption) is to not multitask when doing a file copy.

Don't know the solution myself but found this post elsewhere that suggests a couple of ways of a potential fix that folks say worked for them:
https://superuser.com/questions/620238/could-not-find-this-item-every-time-when-renaming-moving-copying-win-7-expl/683995

If it was me and I was going to edit the registry I'd save off any keys I was going to edit/delete before trying the registry hack. That way can get back to base if something goes wrong.

That said, if it was me, I'd try booting in Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs while in Safe Mode. I think I'd try that before doing anything else.

Also found this. You need to read the whole thread. The fix mentioned there isn't discovered till Page 2:
https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/81527-need-help-unable-rename-move-folders.html

The long and the short of what is being suggested there is that update KB980408 is the culprit. They do though propose a fix, see "HellGates" post.

Also over at overclockers's, also by HellGates: https://www.overclock.net/forum/132-windows/721973-msupdate-kb980408-warning-all-win7-x64-2.html

1.) Install KB980408 normally

2.) Delete the following registry entries:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{2112AB0A-C86A-4ffe-A368-0DE96E47012E}\\PropertyBag]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{491E922F-5643-4af4-A7EB-4E7A138D8174}\\PropertyBag]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{7b0db17d-9cd2-4a93-9733-46cc89022e7c}\\PropertyBag]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{A302545D-DEFF-464b-ABE8-61C8648D939B}\\PropertyBag]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\FolderDescriptions\\{A990AE9F-A03B-4e80-94BC-9912D7504104}\\PropertyBag]

3.) Logoff or restart

Have a look here:  https://msfn.org/board/topic/176381-win-7-renaming-folder-item-not-found-when-just-create-mess-after-october-updatesrollups/?tab=comments#comment-1134596

I have found that kb 958559 causes this behavior on Win-7 SP1 Ultimate 32-bit:

- not showing (not having) any Libraries

- not being able to create new libraries, and

- giving an "Item not found" message when creating new folders or renaming existing ones.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:41 AM, Radish said:

Also found this. You need to read the whole thread. The fix mentioned there isn't discovered till Page 2:
https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/81527-need-help-unable-rename-move-folders.html

The long and the short of what is being suggested there is that update KB980408 is the culprit. They do though propose a fix, see "HellGates" post.

The "HellGates" fix solved the problem!

Thank you!

c