ThinkPad Can't Connect to School Interent

i430VX

On 9/14/2018 at 10:06 PM, i430VX said:

Alright, so apparently my home internet is of the 'n' type. How can I connect to it?

Can some fall back, and some can't?

I had the same issue and the only way for Windows XP to connect, is to set the router in WPA + WPA2 mode. It will not connect when router is set to WPA2 only. I know this for a fact "at least" on my set up, because I tried multiple combinations. This worked for me, hopefully you as well. Nonetheless, WinXP still shows being connected to WPA2. Not sure whats that about.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

On 9/20/2018 at 7:04 AM, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

I had the same issue and the only way for Windows XP to connect, is to set the router in WPA + WPA2 mode. It will not connect when router is set to WPA2 only. I know this for a fact "at least" on my set up, because I tried multiple combinations. This worked for me, hopefully you as well. Nonetheless, WinXP still shows being connected to WPA2. Not sure whats that about.

The problem is that while i can and have configured my home router, It would be frowned upon if I brute-forced into the schools router and configured it for myself.

Also in the wireless connection settings for the school network, I noticed that windows keeps changing the key type from wpa2-psk to wep. I change it back, and it changes again.

I know for a fact the key type is WPA2-PSK. Why is it doing this? somewhere on the internet I saw about using a third party utility to avoid it, but what would be a decent third party wireless configuration utility?

Edited by i430VX

Well I brought a Q4OS Live CD to the school with me. Q4OS is able to connect to the network just fine. So it's not a hardware problem. I'm planning to install Q4OS in a dual boot, but If anybody knows of another solution or a third party wireless client I could test, it would be most welcome.

15 minutes ago, i430VX said:

Well I brought a Q4OS Live CD to the school with me. Q4OS is able to connect to the network just fine. So it's not a hardware problem. I'm planning to install Q4OS in a dual boot, but If anybody knows of another solution or a third party wireless client I could test, it would be most welcome.

Put your router in WPA2 only and see if Windows XP connect.