ThinkPad Can't Connect to School Interent

i430VX

Hey guys. My ThinkPad T60 (with Intel 345ABG Wireless adapter) cannot connect to my schools internet.

It always gets stuck here:

image.png.bfab0b3c4255884f71a05284ee89f8e2.png

It doesn't fail. It will sit there until the end times.

I know the wireless access points in question use WPA2. But I use WPA2 at home, so that's not the issue. If I boot into Windows 2000 and try to connect using boingo, it also fails. My iPhone SE and the laptop i used to bring (toshiba satellite c55-a) can both connect. I am assuming the 345ABG does not support wireless 'n' networks, could that be the issue? If it is, I know there is a compatible ABGN adapter I could buy to put in this laptop.

Any Ideas?

Thank you all!

P.S. If I 'borrow' an Ethernet cable from one of the school PCs and attach it to my ethernet port, it works that way. So the network is seeing me and not blocking me that way. But wireless is the problem

Edited by i430VX

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

I am assuming the 345ABG does not support wireless 'n' networks, could that be the issue?

I think it must be the issue.

If it is, I know there is a compatible ABGN adapter I could buy to put in this laptop.

And this must be the solution. However, check if the wireless network is of the "n" type, (it usually is but just in case it isn't).

Edited by HarryTri

3 hours ago, HarryTri said:

I think it must be the issue.

And this must be the solution. However, check if the wireless network is of the "n" type, (it usually is but just in case it isn't).

How do I check? I didn’t happen to see any info in the various dialogs and whatsits.

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

How do I check? I didn’t happen to see any info in the various dialogs and whatsits.

Hello :) I currently do not have access to an XP laptop, but on my current Vista SP2 one, the "Connect to a Network" window dialog looks like this:

uNWmrgB.jpg

That window lists all wireless networks picked-up by my WLAN card; if you hover mouse over one of them, pop-up (aka tooltip) has relevant info in the "Radio Type" row (e.g. 802.11n); I understand that window dialog is pretty similar in Win7 machines, but am unsure about the state of things in Win10...

If you can't find a similar window in your XP laptop (I only ever had a desktop XP system, with only an ethernet LAN card...), perhaps you could inquire the radio type of your school's Wi-Fi by asking an IT staff member or another person already logged-in...

Hope I've helped...

(BTW, I'm in the range of a total of 10 different WLANs, including mine, only one of them is of radio type g, the rest are all n ;))

Edited by VistaLover

9 hours ago, i430VX said:

Hey guys. My ThinkPad T60 (with Intel 345ABG Wireless adapter) cannot connect to my schools internet.

It always gets stuck here:

image.png.bfab0b3c4255884f71a05284ee89f8e2.png

It doesn't fail. It will sit there until the end times.

I know the wireless access points in question use WPA2. But I use WPA2 at home, so that's not the issue. If I boot into Windows 2000 and try to connect using boingo, it also fails. My iPhone SE and the laptop i used to bring (toshiba satellite c55-a) can both connect. I am assuming the 345ABG does not support wireless 'n' networks, could that be the issue? If it is, I know there is a compatible ABGN adapter I could buy to put in this laptop.

Any Ideas?

Thank you all!

P.S. If I 'borrow' an Ethernet cable from one of the school PCs and attach it to my ethernet port, it works that way. So the network is seeing me and not blocking me that way. But wireless is the problem

I think you have a different issue. My ThinkPad R60 has the same card (the T60 and R60 are identical machines other than cosmetic differences) and has no issues connecting to my network.

You don't need a Wireless N card to connect to a wireless N network. Wireless N is backward compatible to wireless G network cards but the maximum speed will only be 54 mbps.

Stephen Fox's IBM Lenovo ThinkPad R60

23 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I think you have a different issue. My ThinkPad R60 has the same card (the T60 and R60 are identical machines other than cosmetic differences) and has no issues connecting to my network.

You don't need a Wireless N card to connect to a wireless N network. Wireless N is backward compatible to wireless G network cards but the maximum speed will only be 54 mbps.

Stephen Fox's IBM Lenovo ThinkPad R60

Thanks for the info. I have also tried some wireless-g USB cards, they didnt work either.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:02 AM, Tripredacus said:

@sdfox7 if your wireless G clients can connect to your wireless N network, then you have it configured that way, or in mixed mode. I run pure G and pure N radios at home, and wireless G devices cannot even see the wireless N radio.

Ok. I stated that Wireless N is backward compatible with G up to 54mbps. I am aware Wireless G is not forward compatible with Wireless N.

Most routers I have come across have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios both enabled, which makes sense to maximize compatibility. I believe that legacy devices such as the Nintendo Wii cannot work with Wireless N and must fall back to wireless G.

So It must not be a pure N radio, because I can see it.

This ThinkPad can detcect and use my 5ghz home networks (So 5Ghz must exist in G mode, and N) . I don't know if these ones are 5Ghz or not.

21 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

Ok. I stated that Wireless N is backward compatible with G up to 54mbps. I am aware Wireless G is not forward compatible with Wireless N.

It is not entirely this fact, more like saying N is backwards compatible (as a blanket statement) is more of pushing marketing speak. If Wireless N was backwards compatible, you wouldn't need mixed mode. Mixed mode is the function of the router/AP to use both N and previous types at the same time. When speaking in terms of this backwards compatibiltiy, you must be specific to the device and to the configuration. A, B, G and N are not compatible with each other. It is the interfaces that determine the compatibility.

Over the weekend I acquired a D-Link Cloud Router 1100 (Wireless N300 Router). According to the product table on the back of the box, it is single-band 2.4GHz. Higher models are simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz + 5Ghz.

So N (and AC) can be 2.4 and/or 5 GHz
B and G are 2.4 Ghz only
A is 5 GHz only