How to access disk and folders in Windows 10?

Roffen

A very fundamental problem for me, I just dont know how to perform the most basic operations in Windows 10, like opening a disk drive, creating partitions et cetera. Something like control panel/disk management in Windows XP?

just type

diskmgmt.msc

use the console

or: search control panel with cortana - its still everything there... (you could search it with g**gle very easy ;) the explorer for sure, is still the explorer... - maybe you need to watch some youtube tutorials...

Edited by R4D3

Where do I type diskmgmt.msc?

Where do I find the control panel to search it wih cortana? What actually is cortana? I am all question marks.

Am I handicapped because of my age being 88 years?

Would it be possible to install WinXp on the Lenovo Windows 10 desktop machine?

Or even if it was doable, it would be very silly to do it?

1 hour ago, Roffen said:

:hello: No, you ain't! No way! Win 10 has actually an insane interface and is really perplexing to use. And you're not alone, I, for one, do abhor Win 10 with a passion. I don't think I can be of much help to you with Win 10, sorry, but rest assured you're my hero for even giving it a try! You have all my sympathy. :yes:

@Roffen

Right click on desktop, select Personalise, find themes and look carefully on top right and there is an option for add icons on desktop.  I think location may change depending on Pro, Home or update version (as all does on 10).

Edited by alacran

• 2 weeks later...

I've had plenty of experience with various versions of Windows (3.1, 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8.x, even Windows 1!), and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get networking... working on 10!

So don't feel bad about not understanding it; You're having trouble because the stupid UI is beyond comprehension!!

c

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 8:43 PM, alacran said:

@Roffen

Right click on desktop, select Personalise, find themes and look carefully on top right and there is an option for add icons on desktop.  I think location may change depending on Pro, Home or update version (as all does on 10).

It is barely the same in all editions of Win10 as I checked myself - Personalize > Themes > desktop icon settings

win10themesettings.png.99b96ad0d0c264b8a9960424ef27b263.png

On 9/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, dencorso said:

:hello: No, you ain't! No way! Win 10 has actually an insane interface and is really perplexing to use. And you're not alone, I, for one, do abhor Win 10 with a passion. I don't think I can be of much help to you with Win 10, sorry, but rest assured you're my hero for even giving it a try! You have all my sympathy. :yes:

On 9/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, Roffen said:

Where do I type diskmgmt.msc?

Where do I find the control panel to search it wih cortana? What actually is cortana? I am all question marks.

Would it be possible to install WinXp on the Lenovo Windows 10 desktop machine?

Or even if it was doable, it would be very silly to do it?

Please ignore the Windows 10 haters. Sadly you see way too much bashing on Windows 10 on this forum.

You have several options to access Disk Management.

• Click on the Windows symbol and type "Disk Management". This will show "Create and format hard disk partitions", which once clicked will open Disk Management. This is most likely the easiest way to access it.
  • If you have the Cortana search bar (seen in the image below) you can simply type "Disk Management" there, too.

3KXzXSF.jpg

Other ways include:

• Pressing Windows key + R and typing diskmgmt.msc,
  • If you have This PC showing on the desktop or in the Windows Start menu, you can right click and select Manage...

There's also third party software that can do it as well, but Disk Management works perfectly fine.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.