Win98SE SATA HDD works, SSD doesn't

Feamane

Hi,

I've had Win98SE running on the following three motherboards for some time now with Seagate ST380815AS SATA-300 HDDs (only the Asus K8V-X SE supports SATA-300, the rest are running in SATA-150 mode).  Since I recently got a couple spare SATA SSDs I thought I'd try them.  Here are the systems (all have nVIDIA GeForce 6x00 video cards):

Asus K8V-X SE (Socket 754, VIA K8T800/VT8237R)
ASRock 775V88 (LGA775, VIA PT880/VIA 8237)
ASRock K8S8X (Socket 754, SiS 755/SiS 964)

These are the two surplus SSDs I received:

Mushkin    MKNSSDCL60GB-DX (Callisto Deluxe)
OCZ    SLD3-25SAT3-60G (Solid 3)

I have been able to get both SSDs to work in the ASRock K8S8X, but Win98SE can't boot off of either of them with the other two motherboards.  Win98SE will install, but always hangs during boot with the following errors (mostly the one error, sometimes the other--the difference may be if booting in safe mode or not):

While initializing device IOS:
Error: An I/O subsystem driver failed to load.  Either a file in the ./iosubsys subdirectory is corrupt, or the system is low on memory.

While initializing device CONFIGMG:
Windows procection error.

If I boot off of the HDD then I can access the SSD and it seems to work normally, the file system seems fine and I can work with the files there.

I tried renaming esdi_506.pdr but that made no difference.

Any ideas how I can solve the boot problem with the VIA chipset motherboards?  Why would these boot and work just fine with the SATA HDDs but not the SSDs?

Thanks,
DJ