CHKDSK Different OS: Truth or Urban Legend?

FranceBB

I've been using the Windows Check Disk since March 2000, but I've always been told that it has to be used with the same OS.

In other words, a Windows 2000 install shouldn't be scanned using a Windows XP CD and vice-versa, 'cause CHKDSK versions were created with a specific OS in mind and might misbehave while repairing another system.

Here I am, 18 years later, without Windows 2000, but still using my XP CD (actually, I turned it into an ISO to use it via USB long time ago) whenever I have to do a check disk (I know that I could leave the OS repair itself, but I prefer to use the CD).

Anyway, I now wonder: is really true what they told me 18 years ago and does it still apply to modern OS (Win Vista -> Win Vista / Win 7 -> Win7 / Win8 -> Win8 / Win8.1 -> Win 8.1 / Win10 -> Win10)?

And how about Windows Server Versions? Let's say Windows Server 2008 R2. It's made with the Win7 kernel (revised and corrected) with added features. Can Windows Server be used to scan its Windows Desktop equivalent?

Just asking out of curiosity.

Thank you in advance. ^_^

Edited by FranceBB

There are (or there may be) a number of sometimes slight and undocumented, sometimes huge and documented, sometimes small or huge and mis-documented changes in each OS release to the underlying NTFS.

NO such issues with FAT12/16/32 which were not changed,

Officially (and in practice) the largest (and worst) change was between NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 because it was undocumented and "destructive", JFYI:

But there were a few minor changes even later, between 2000 and XP there were a few major changes, and also between XP and Vista, though these latter if I recall correctly only revolve around softlinks and hardlinks and their usage in the OS, 

The NTFS (and CHKDSK) is however always "backwards compatible", in the sense that a newer NT will (should) always be able to read (and CHKDSK to fix) a previous OS NTFS, the point is whether the NTFS "fixed" by CHKDSK on a newer OS will be readable on a previous version.

Of course the same OS in desktop and server version use the same NTFS and are fully interchangeable.

jaclaz