Windows 7 Extended Security Updates

greenhillmaniac

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2018/09/06/helping-customers-shift-to-a-modern-desktop/

With that in mind, today we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year. Windows 7 ESUs will be available to all Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers in Volume Licensing, with a discount to customers with Windows software assurance, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education subscriptions. In addition, Office 365 ProPlus will be supported on devices with active Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. This means that customers who purchase the Windows 7 ESU will be able to continue to run Office 365 ProPlus.

Microsoft changes their mind so frequently... Does this mean Windows 7's updates will practically continue until 2023 just like 8.1? That would be nice.

By releasing extended updates for 7 Microsoft is admitting Windows 10 is a failure in the enterprise. Enterprises don’t want to have to deal with telemetry, Candy Crush and forced reboots on mission critical machines. I hope Microsoft gets a clue or we will see Windows 7 usage into the late 2020s.

1 hour ago, Xack said:

By releasing extended updates for 7 Microsoft is admitting Windows 10 is a failure in the enterprise. Enterprises don’t want to have to deal with telemetry, Candy Crush and forced reboots on mission critical machines. I hope Microsoft gets a clue or we will see Windows 7 usage into the late 2020s.

I don't think they are admitting anything, they simply found a way to take the money the enterprises owed them :w00t: for the Windows 10 licenses in another form :whistle:, I would call it "simple pragmatism".

jaclaz

reaction from this Neowin article

and from this Techpowerup forums topic

the extension seems to benefit mostly big business / enterprise users using Win7 Pro or Win7 enterprise editions and changes nothing for small business / home users / consumers as support for "home" versions of Win7 used by consumers still ends Jan. 14, 2020.