What is the most powerful Windows 2000 machine ever?

Windows 2000

Hello!

I was just curious as to what's the most powerful Windows 2000 machine that one could build? As far as I'm aware, the most powerful GPU that can work on Windows 2000 is GTX 980Ti or maybe the GTX TITAN X (non pascal) thanks to Blackwingcat's driver.

What's on the processor and motherboard side? What's the most powerful processor that works with Windows 2000? - My Intel Core i5 2500 works just fine with Windows 2000 but I assume that there are quite a bit more powerful processors that could work.

Also, what's the most RAM you could get to work if you bypass the 32bit limit?

On the hard drive side, as far as I'm aware the boot partition cannot be larger than 2TB, but a secondary partition could reach up to 256GB? - maybe?

Any info would be appreciated. Have a great day!

Edited by Windows 2000

2 hours ago, bluebolt said:

At least:  X99 motherboard with i7-6950X Broadwell-E 10-core CPU, GTX 960 / 4GB video card, maximum 32GB RAM in PAE mode.

That processor is a beast!

May I ask, why GTX 960 would be the most powerful? Aren't the more powerful 900 series working?

1 hour ago, Jody Thornton said:

I find performance in XP and 2000, using PAE mode, takes a slight performance hit though.  Do you even need more than 4 GB in Windows 2000?  The OS foot print is small.

I don't really need more than 4 GB RAM except in some pretty rare occasions, but I just have quite a bit of RAM sticks laying around which I could just use for the sake of it.

I'd just like to get the most possible out of the OS.

Edited by Windows 2000

I haven't tried anything more powerful than the GTX 960, so I don't know whether higher-end 900 cards may work or not.

I tested 64 GB of RAM at one point, but the system still only showed 32 GB, so that looks to be the limit in my setup (much improved memory performance, otherwise no real downside).

The biggest hurdle is finding a motherboard that will allow installation of W2K Pro -- we are really at the mercy of the BIOS.  I think even blackwingcat "quit the motherboard" (or words to that effect) when the OS install would not proceed.

The X99 thread has a little more information, which I hope to update at some point.

2 hours ago, bluebolt said:

I haven't tried anything more powerful than the GTX 960, so I don't know whether higher-end 900 cards may work or not.

I tested 64 GB of RAM at one point, but the system still only showed 32 GB, so that looks to be the limit in my setup (much improved memory performance, otherwise no real downside).

The biggest hurdle is finding a motherboard that will allow installation of W2K Pro -- we are really at the mercy of the BIOS.  I think even blackwingcat "quit the motherboard" (or words to that effect) when the OS install would not proceed.

The X99 thread has a little more information, which I hope to update at some point.

Just found the thread. To be fair, i'm quite astonished by how powerful of hardware can be put on Windows 2000.

Thanks everyone for the info, that's pretty much everything I wanted to know. Now I can start slowly upgrading my PC.

If anybody has any more suggestions, feel free to share them.

On 9/5/2018 at 2:55 PM, Windows 2000 said:

Just found the thread. To be fair, i'm quite astonished by how powerful of hardware can be put on Windows 2000.

Thanks everyone for the info, that's pretty much everything I wanted to know. Now I can start slowly upgrading my PC.

If anybody has any more suggestions, feel free to share them.

this may not be what you are looking for but if you wanted reasonable performance for light usage on windows 2000, the dell latitude d630 may not be a bad candidate, certainly nowhere near the performance of the original specs and other people mentioned here in this thread. you can use 1.2mm copper shims in between the gpu and main chipset with new thermal paste for all them including the cpu of course to not forget, and temperatures should be ok, the reason why i mentioned the dell latitude d630 is the majority of newer laptops or decently fast laptops do not have the ability to run windows 2000 because of sata drives, although, there are ways to get sata support through sata drivers integrated such as nlite, but it can be confusing or difficult to do, the d630 has sata compatibility mode in bios to allow running on windows 2000 sp4, this is what most laptops do not have and it's difficult / not very practical searching laptops one by one to see which one may have such a setting or not. i do want to make the notice in case you didn't know that the d630 has somewhat of a faulty nvidia chip, this is where the high temperatures mostly come from i believe as i have tested this myself, but i am not sure if the faulty part is simply because of the heat and / or some other problem. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, Windows 2000 said:

May I ask, why GTX 960 would be the most powerful? Aren't the more powerful 900 series working?

Confirming you are correct:  the 980 Ti card works fine using the same driver sets from BWC.

Technically, that would make the theoretically most powerful stable Windows 2000 system be with the following specs:

- Intel Core i7-6950X

- GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB GDDR5

- 32 GB DDR3 Memory

That's of course if I am not missing something along the way. :dubbio:

Edited by Windows 2000