Searching for a WPA2-Capable Card

FantasyAcquiesce

I purchased a wireless usb wifi adapter (Realtek RTL8188CU USB Adapter) off Ebay and I'm hoping to get it working on Windows ME!

Kinda struggling at the moment to find a driver...even if the manufactuer lacks them, similar WIFI adapter drivers should work, right?

Despite the driver being Realtek, it looks more like this

The hardware IDs are:
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8176&REV_0200
USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8176

If it helps at all, the compatible id's are:
USB\Class_FF&SubClass_FF&Prot_FF
USB\Class_FF&SubClass_FF
USB\Class_FF

I also tried soporific's driverpack with no success...

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Earliest I can find is for Windows 2000:

http://drivers.zedt.eu/sd/Wireless/Edimax EW-7811Un/20101210_v1.08_windows/88_92_CU_Driver/Win2K/

Try editing the INF to make it similar to a Win9x compatible WiFi adapter INF, like this one I use in my ThinkPad T42p:

ftp://ftp.eutronix.be/4pos/POS700/POS700_V1.0/Common/Wireless_LAN/802.11abg/UNEX_CM10/Win98_ME/DV4.1.2.71/Driver/98Me/

Look for "ATHER Win9x specific" - Win9x expects ndis3, while the Win2K inf has ndis5 written, and different strings...

1 hour ago, MrMateczko said:

Earliest I can find is for Windows 2000:

http://drivers.zedt.eu/sd/Wireless/Edimax EW-7811Un/20101210_v1.08_windows/88_92_CU_Driver/Win2K/

Try editing the INF to make it similar to a Win9x compatible WiFi adapter INF, like this one I use in my ThinkPad T42p:

ftp://ftp.eutronix.be/4pos/POS700/POS700_V1.0/Common/Wireless_LAN/802.11abg/UNEX_CM10/Win98_ME/DV4.1.2.71/Driver/98Me/

Look for "ATHER Win9x specific" - Win9x expects ndis3, while the Win2K inf has ndis5 written, and different strings...

Currently comparing the INF file for the Realtek driver with PROBLEMCHYLD's modified broadcom and the T42...I gotta say, I'm quite overwhelmed.

What exactly needs to be modified?...the driver (top) you linked me to only has ndis5 when I searched the file. Do I just change ndis5 to ndis3?

EDIT: Changed ndis5 to ndis3...it installed! But now there's another issue...The NDIS.VXD and NTKERN.VXD device loaders can't load the driver (Code 2)...

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

I've took a look at the .sys file itself.

The one from my Atheros' WiFi card is designed with 9x in mind, the Realtek USB WiFi one is not.

I'm afraid there will be no drivers for your USB WiFi dongle.

Code 2 in non-Win9x Network drivers means no luck, the VXD of Win98SE does not understand the SYS file, sorry.

In the future, try to find out the device ID of the device before you buy it. Then, check if the drivers are available. In this way, you won't waste time. That's how I knew what WiFi card to buy for my ThinkPad. Just a tip from experience :)

Edited by MrMateczko

Driver_98ME_5707_1120.zip is for PCI(-E) network cards starting with PCI\ in their device ID's, not USB!

Before giving him the answer, I've took a look at the Realtek's website, and did not found any drivers for USB WiFi adapters for Win9x with their chips.

They are the most recent (2016?) Realtek drivers for Win9x, so might hold the key to developing a solution. Compare them to their Win2k 81xx PCI counterparts to see what modifications need to be made to the Win2k 8188 USB drivers.

On 9/5/2018 at 10:50 AM, MrMateczko said:

I've took a look at the .sys file itself.

The one from my Atheros' WiFi card is designed with 9x in mind, the Realtek USB WiFi one is not.

I'm afraid there will be no drivers for your USB WiFi dongle.

Code 2 in non-Win9x Network drivers means no luck, the VXD of Win98SE does not understand the SYS file, sorry.

In the future, try to find out the device ID of the device before you buy it. Then, check if the drivers are available. In this way, you won't waste time. That's how I knew what WiFi card to buy for my ThinkPad. Just a tip from experience :)

It means he will need rloew's wdmex patch. 

I got a belkin cardbus which is supposed to work on 9x, but I'm still having the same problem...the model is a F5D7010 with 802.11g.

My cardbus' drivers are installed and my Dell Latitude D600 makes a beeping sound whenever I insert my cardbus. However, the belkin utilities I've used refuse to see the cardbus after prompting to be inserted. I tried a manual installation with no luck. I'm currently attempting to use newer driver versions as well.

https://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=5005

While I'm at it, does anyone know of good driver packs? For example, I found one which contained "500,000" apparently, it fixed my Windows ME's chipset problems! If anyone is aware of these, please tell me of their names! The problem is they tend to be bundled on warez sites despite the fact they contain NO WARES...

EDIT: Turns out my Dell Latitude D600's PCMCIA slot is BROKEN like most units...I have to look for a Mini PCI Wireless Card...

The Dell Wireless Pro 2100 3A and 3B models don't have WPA2, 2200 is not 9x-compatible...so I have to look for other cards!
Has anyone tried Realtek RTL8180L?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Search for any Mini PCI WiFi card with an Atheros chipset.

Then use the drivers I've posted before:

And use Odyssey Client for connecting with WPA2, works for me.

I wish I could provide experience with other manufacturers, but only Atheros comes to my mind when it comes for WPA2 802.11g WiFi under 98SE.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:31 PM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I got a belkin cardbus which is supposed to work on 9x, but I'm still having the same problem...the model is a F5D7010 with 802.11g.

My cardbus' drivers are installed and my Dell Latitude D600 makes a beeping sound whenever I insert my cardbus. However, the belkin utilities I've used refuse to see the cardbus after prompting to be inserted. I tried a manual installation with no luck. I'm currently attempting to use newer driver versions as well.

https://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=5005

While I'm at it, does anyone know of good driver packs? For example, I found one which contained "500,000" apparently, it fixed my Windows ME's chipset problems! If anyone is aware of these, please tell me of their names! The problem is they tend to be bundled on warez sites despite the fact they contain NO WARES...

EDIT: Turns out my Dell Latitude D600's PCMCIA slot is BROKEN like most units...I have to look for a Mini PCI Wireless Card...

The Dell Wireless Pro 2100 3A and 3B models don't have WPA2, 2200 is not 9x-compatible...so I have to look for other cards!
Has anyone tried Realtek RTL8180L?

realtek 8185 supports wpa2 with odyssey client 4.56 and works on dell latitude d600, ebay sells rtl8185 for fairly cheap, i have not tested 8180, supposedly it was supposed to have a working windows 95 driver but i never got it to work on windows 95, though it was a pci card version i tested, i never tested the 8180 mini pci card version for 95 or 98SE. the broadcom wireless mini pci cards do not seem to work very well so i tend to avoid them if i can. 

• 2 months later...

I'm currently using a D-Link AirPlus XtremeG PCI card that supports WPA2 on Windows 98 SE. I posted about it before. I also have a Realtek RTL8185, but I wouldn't recommend it because the client software is garbage and crashes frequently.

Realtek cards perform poorly anyways (aside from the RTL8192EU), I'd definitely go for the Atheros 500x series of cards which seem to be the newest and only WPA2 supporting cards for 98SE/ME.

Edited by Chociu