Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
Comos

HDD treated as" Generic disk" after the 48Bit LBA patch

Hi,

I have made the LLXX 48bit LBA patch on my systems (W98SE,Win95OSR2.1) some time ago,where it works well on both systems,however I haven't come to a conclusion,why on both systems after the patch the disks are not recognized by name anymore, but only shown as "Generic disk type 47" on Win95 system and "Generic Ide disk type 0x" on Win98SE.Prior the update the disk names were normally recognized under the system propertis as I recall.

Does anybody remember the cause please?

yes, its normal.

LLXX patch based on original MS esdi506, which can show only "Generic xxx".

for fix it try my DMRP. unpack to some folder on C:\ and run DMRP.BAT under Windows, then reboot.

DMRP303.ZIP

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MERCURY127 said:

yes, its normal.

for fix it try my DMRP. unpack to some folder on C:\ and run DMRP.BAT under Windows, then reboot.

DMRP303.ZIP

Tested on my Win98SE, there it works flawlessly, however on my Win95OSR2.1, there is some glitch in the description and one disk information is missing as seen on the screenshots.The rest of the shown disks are okay from beginning,because use different driver since one is attached on a Promise Ultra133 TX and the second one is a SCSI (Adaptec U160).I can attach the ESDI_506.PDR and IOS.VXD for investigation.The Language of my Win is CZ just for info.

Previous.jpg

Patched.jpg

Posted (edited)

oh... i never have some other than standard disk controllers, so my patch verified only for disks on esdi506 in 98se.

if u have interest, i can try make patch better... but i not touch it more 9 year.

Edited by MERCURY127

Posted (edited)

It would be great to get it running also for Win95 esdi506 ,so the patch could be universal.I have added the files, if that could help you with the improvement.

Thanks in advance.

W95OSR2.ZIP

Edited by Comos

Posted (edited)

i've talked about this and related issues in various threads without much specific help so i was able to find some solutions on my own, the only solution i have found practically to do on my 95 osr 2.5 systems ( 98SE is slightly different covered below ) is if after applying all chipset inf updates, dma updates, patches and the hard disk still shows up as generic disk and doesn't show the real name, then what i do is i simply change it via registry ( regedit ) to the proper name and that's it, easy as that and it shows up properly in device manager afterwards. 

to find out the name of the drive, hdd health 2.1 and / or speedfan 4.28 should show the real name of the hard drive on 95 osr 2.5 or 98SE, although for stability reasons, try running hdd health 2.1 first on 98SE instead of speedfan 4.28 as 98SE seems to be somewhat more picky ( at least from my experience ) with chipsets and may freeze the system or not work properly with speedfan 4.28, which is why i discarded a while back and use either dtemp 1.0.0.34 for hdd temperatures and / or hwmonitor 1.15 for related stuff, even though there may be some stuff missing. 

for 98SE, if you have any intel chipset, i would also try running the ultra ata storage 6.11.100.1301 version AFTER applying all other inf and chipset updates, after applying the ultra ata storage 6.11.100.1301, it should properly show the drive name in device manage, although i've only tested it on a ich3-m chipset, it was designed for ich0-ich2, but nonetheless still updated the drive and properly showed its name, and i would assume it would do it for older chipsets than ich0 and newer than ich3, if it doesn't though for whatever reason, you can then just follow the same step that i mentioned for 95 osr 2.5. 

also, with 95 osr 2.5, for 440bx or same family related chipsets, there is 440 bsfix update that you should apply, this also changes the drive to the proper name and gets rid of the generic ide disk, this should be applied BEFORE running any other updated chipset / inf update, i have not found a more "universal" intel ide update for 95 osr 2.5, like the 98SE one, the ultra ata storage 6.11.100.1301 only works on 98/98SE, NT4, 2000 and ME. 

hope this all helps

Edited by cov3rt
  • Like 1

I wrote a Patch that fixes this problem in ESDI_506.PDR for any 9x OS.

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2018 at 5:25 AM, MERCURY127 said:

yes, its normal.

DMRP303.ZIP

Thanks for the patch. Added patched files to 3.62.

• Like 1