Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

roytam1

Backporting Newer Browsers to Windows 9x

Posted (edited)
On 12/11/2017 at 2:13 PM, Destro said:

If we can make Kmelon/Gonna work on 98se than you become a God.

just ported palemoon-26.5 to VC8+vanilla Win2000 environment, but I can't test it under kex (haven't installed win98 since 15 years ago)

latest build (for Win2000, may or may not work on KEx):

Edited by roytam1
  • Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Your palemoon port opens under Win98/Kex but, at least on my installations, nothing more can be done. I can enter a website but nothing happens - not even an icon showing that a search is in progress or something like that.
Can you maybe look into porting SeaMonkey 2.8 ??
Thank you !!!

Edited by MiKl
typos

Posted (edited)

Great news guys! K-meleon compiled for windows 2000 by roytam loads :D The problem is that doesn't load pages... I'm sure the internet works because windows explorer loads pages. I will try with other settings. If we can get pages to load, we are going to have an up to date browser for windows 98!!

https://imgur.com/a/Wi59hVh

Edited by junior600

Posted (edited)

from my testing (Win98SE CHT with W98SE SP and KernelEx-4.5.2+4.5.2016.17), it crashes after showing main UI:

fnzvpN0.png

and my rzbrowser also having problems in such environment, with kex-enabled:

qeKHnpb.png

and with kex-disabled:

hpIDeli.png

and yeah, I have no clue now.

Edited by roytam1

49 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

from my testing (Win98SE CHT with W98SE SP and KernelEx-4.5.2+4.5.2016.17), it crashes after showing main UI:

fnzvpN0.png

qeKHnpb.png

and with kex-disabled:

hpIDeli.png

the same problem happens to me with palemoon... Try with k-meleon, it loads without errors but it doesn't load pages for me...

15 hours ago, roytam1 said:

and with kex-disabled:

Great work! :thumbup

If your RetroZilla fork is running properly under 95 OSR2 and doesn't run properly under Windows 98, then something is definitely weird.

Try both of your browsers without the Unofficial Service Pack. Also try both with only KernelEx 4.5.2. Too many unofficial packages can create more unknown variables. :)

Posted (edited)

so rzbrowser issue is fixed.

for pm26w2k/km74g22, will try to downgrade sqlite3 to version what firefox24esr uses to see if it will work or not.

EDIT: reverting sqlite3 doesn't help, I have no clue now.

Edited by roytam1
  • Upvote 1

Split this discussion into its own thread; per jumper's request and it deserved its own thread anyway. Keep up the good work! :thumbup

NSS db files in profile folder doesn't able to create correctly in KernelEx, after copying db files from profile created in 2000/XP, it works.

Hopug2p.png

crosspost:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

is not work - nss3.dll req missed mozglue.dll:malloc_usable_size

sorry, i try use original K-Meleon74.0.7z (2014) istead KM74-g22-20180429.win2000.7z (2018) as base.

is was really stupid...

Edited by MERCURY127
WORK!

roytam1, please add all downloads to test for PM and KM to your first post.

4 hours ago, schwups said:

roytam1, please add all downloads to test for PM and KM to your first post.

added, but I may forget to update when new build(s) are uploaded.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

have problems...
as later became clear, when i told, that its work - its mean just run. not more then. 
as browser its unusable. i cant see loaded page in 9x and 2k, no text or other visual elements: 
- on i7 with intel hdg4000 and w7 - all ok;
- on p3 with nv fx5200 and rus 2k - first time, first seconds after run - all ok, but after 3-5 sec - black window. still black after restart goanna. normalize if del profile, and again after 3-5 sec - black window;
- on p3 with fx5200 and rus 9x IF (SE with updates), kex in 2k mode - not run anyway, only msgbox "kmeleon cant be initialized";
- on i7 with vbemp and rus 9x se (also try IF) and kex in 2k mode - depending on which msigm32.dll used, i have empty window, after pressing one-two ctrl+f5 - non-empty window without text and other visual elements (but with appears unredlining links if move mouse), or, if other msimg32 used - crash after 3-5 sec (exaxtly when black window appear in 2k), and halt whole 9x after 5-10 sec.
screenshots be soon.

Edited by MERCURY127

also now i check this build on i7 and 2k with vbemp nt - here all work good... except that first time after run (again on 3-5 sec) was something like fast opening/closing fullscreen window... very fast, as some DX game run and immediately halt...

its first run on my machines (rus 98IF - 9x with mixed updates), there is no internet was at this time:
4bYSiFi.png

there is todays screens on i7 with SE:
first run after succesful initialization profile under 2k
ALxTDLH.png

after ctrl-f5 (also no rection when typing in ddg searchbox)
Sz9nUhn.png

after input url (no visual reaction, but seen internet activity)
EDYV77O.png

and adter ctrl-f5
XZOV5zv.png

it all was on i7 with 9x. on p3 - failed to initialize.