IE9 doesnt play youtube videos anymore???

apreese16

On 2/7/2019 at 4:46 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Cooperation from XP enthusiasts might be helpful in many cases, but in this case has resulted in confusion. IE9 does at least support HTML5 (but not MSE), IE8 of course does not.

I can't seem to find an official YouTube statement regarding final deprecation of Flash Player, but know of no reason to disagree with the OP of this thread.

Support for Chrome Frame ended 5 years ago. When it comes to my own vintage Vista system, Chrome Frame would be as unwelcome as an Alien facehugger.

The obvious workaround is to use a different browser for YouTube, but +1 for wishing this wasn't necessary.

I can confirm YouTube fails on Windows XP without Chrome Frame, however, it DOES work once you install Frame. I just tried it (in Internet Explorer 8).

ie8yt.jpg

On 2/7/2019 at 4:46 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Cooperation from XP enthusiasts might be helpful in many cases, but in this case has resulted in confusion. IE9 does at least support HTML5 (but not MSE), IE8 of course does not.

I can't seem to find an official YouTube statement regarding final deprecation of Flash Player, but know of no reason to disagree with the OP of this thread.

Support for Chrome Frame ended 5 years ago. When it comes to my own vintage Vista system, Chrome Frame would be as unwelcome as an Alien facehugger.

The obvious workaround is to use a different browser for YouTube, but +1 for wishing this wasn't necessary.

This is pretty close: 

Moving to <iframe> embeds

Given the progress we've made with HTML5 <video>, we’re now defaulting to the HTML5 player on the web. 
We're also deprecating the "old style" of Flash <object> embeds and our Flash API. We encourage all embedders
to use the <iframe> API, which can intelligently use whichever technology the client supports.

https://youtube-eng.googleblog.com/2015/01/youtube-now-defaults-to-html5_27.html

Also, it seems that IE8 DOES support HTML5 to some degree, if not completely. I guess "limited" is the appropriate word. 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/289225/does-internet-explorer-8-support-html-5