Prerequisites to integrating updates?

I'm trying to integrate the last cumulative update to my image, and it just wouldn't work, always giving me this error:

Processing 1 of 1 - d:\install\OS\Win10 updates\windows10.0-kb4346783-x64.msu: An error occurred while expanding the .msu package into the temporary folder, C:\TEMP\026C4C10-7AE8-42D3-9B97-9E49018383DF.
 Error: 0x8007000d

Error: 13

The data is invalid.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

DISM log is equally useless

2018-08-31 13:43:48, Info                  DPX    ProvideRequestedDataByFile: d:\install\OS\Win10 updates\windows10.0-kb4346783-x64.msu failed, Response file Name: ExtractFromCabInFile
2018-08-31 13:43:48, Info                  DPX    Ended DPX phase: Apply Deltas Provided In File
2018-08-31 13:43:48, Info                  DPX    DpxException hr=0x8007000d code=0x020201
2018-08-31 13:43:48, Info                  DPX    Ended DPX phase: Resume and Download Job
2018-08-31 13:43:48, Info                  DPX    DpxException hr=0x8007000d code=0x020217
2018-08-31 13:43:48, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1108 TID=4220 Failed to start the DPX job to extract MSU files. - CMsuPackage::Expand(hr:0x8007000d)
2018-08-31 13:43:48, Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=1108 TID=4220 Failed to expand the MSU file into temp folder C:\TEMP\026C4C10-7AE8-42D3-9B97-9E49018383DF. - CMsuPackage::Install(hr:0x8007000d)

Are there any other updates I need to integrate first, or what's going on? Does anyone know?

In case anyone ever runs into the same problem:

I managed to figure it out - purely accidentally.
It turned out there IS a prerequisite to integrating this - it's called "servicing stack" and these KBs are released more or less along with the cumulative updates (sometimes like once per two CUs).
Of course, this is not explained anywhere (the connection and dependency).

The other catch is that when you try to integrate all this, you have to do it twice. WTF.
So you have to mount the image, do whatever customizations you have prepared, then integrate the servicing stack, THEN unmount and save the image, AND THEN mount it again and finally integrate the large update.

This is almost as annoying as booting into safe mode in Windows 10 compared to Windows 7.
just-pure-WTF

18 minutes ago, Octopuss said:

Of course, this is not explained anywhere (the connection and dependency).

And now the connection and dependencies are explained here (thank you :)) BUT without ANY hint on where to actually find this "servicing stack", nor on how EXACTLY to integrate it.

It would be nice (and useful) if you could detail the missing parts.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 2:26 PM, jaclaz said:

And now the connection and dependencies are explained here (thank you :)) BUT without ANY hint on where to actually find this "servicing stack", nor on how EXACTLY to integrate it.

It would be nice (and useful) if you could detail the missing parts.

jaclaz

That's partially why I couldn't figure it out! The servicing stack updates are sometimes mentioned at the bottom of the cumulative updates' page, like here. There doesn't seem to be any kind of centralized info/download page for the servicing updates.

The integration is basically

dism /Mount-image /ImageFile:"<path>\install.wim" /index:<number> /MountDir:"<where to mount>" /Optimize /CheckIntegrity
dism /image:c:\mount /add-package /packagepath:"<path to the folder with the servicing update"
dism /Unmount-image /MountDir:"<path>" /Commit /CheckIntegrity

And then again the same thing, only you have to specify different folder where the actual CU is (not sure if you can point to specific files, probably yes, but I prefer not to edit the d*** batch file over and over).

Edited by Octopuss

This process does exist with some situations even in previous versions of Windows. I can recall at least one RAID card that needed this unmount/remount process.. mostly because it used a dummy driver. Also any INFs that needed the KMDF/UMDF update would need that MSU added first, unmount/remount and then you could add the INF.

The only page I know is on the Catalog site, but it does not show pre-requisites there. Only succeed/supercede KBs.