Windows XP SP3 April 2019 Ship Abandoners' Hideout

glnz

That's really nice to hear! ^-^
I'm also currently installing the POSReady updates after installing SP4. There are 88 updates.

Speaking of SP4, somebody should make an archive containing just the WXP updates and a batch script to automate the process, since installing a MOD might not be to everyone's tastes, nor does everyone want .NET stuff or the POSReady updates... I would make the updates archive if I had the time to but I don't, since I have college pretty soon.

I'm dual-booting Windows XP Pro /w SP4 integrated /w all POSReady updates /w Slackware Linux 14.2 32bit on a Compaq Presario C700.

Everything is running smooth with the Ext2Fsd driver accessing my Linux partition.

I'll just keep buying older/supported hardware which is probably the best solution. I did it for Windows 98 SE.

After that runs dry, we are going to have to start mastering VMs.

I do have an Inspiron 15 3521 AMD sitting in the closet right now. For starters I don't like AMD, secondly I hate I can't run WinXP on it.

^ Unless you want to use Vista, there is no reason; that's exactly why I dual boot XP/Vista in my Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA!

I've also ordered 2GB RAM for the little netbook which should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday! Only cost £13, managing retro tech so much easier than modern :)

On 9/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, Dibya said:

Their is no reason to leave XP.

To some extent... I'm not going to keep buying old hardware just to support WinXP. Right now, I'm not worried but one day I will have to move on. Win9x scene has been very quiet lately. You only have a few working on things which is not enough to hold on.

19 hours ago, PROBLEMCHYLD said:

To some extent... I'm not going to keep buying old hardware just to support WinXP. Right now, I'm not worried but one day I will have to move on. Win9x scene has been very quiet lately. You only have a few working on things which is not enough to hold on.

XP is NT based platform. I am not worried.as long as my asmedia usb 3 card and my Nvidia gfx card will be with me I will use XP for ever. Seabios is their to work around No legacy mode and ACPI issues

@Dibya still, as I said in the chat, an emulated BIOS that runs on the top of a modded UEFI is not the solution as it might not work reliably (or at all) on the majority of hardware out there.

@broken120x120 probably. Still, antivirus softwares still support XP and they will for quite some time, so we are talking about many years into the future. Avast, for instance, won't deploy Avast 19 to machines running XP, however Avast 18 will be supported and will receive updates for years, just like Avast 8 still receives updates for Windows 98SE computers. ;)

Security wise, I think there's nothing to worry about, at least for the near-future. And, unless a new major security issue will be discovered after April 2019, I don't think there will be problems, as running an Antivirus and a good Firewall will be enough. :)

Edited by FranceBB