Windows XP SP3 April 2019 Ship Abandoners' Hideout

glnz

Looking forward to the future ...

Time to set a goal to wean myself from XP by April.  These are my tasks:

1. How to migrate my ten years of existing emails from Outlook Express 6 (many folders of ten-years past and current sent and received emails) to a new email app on my Win 7+10 dual-booting machine.
    1. Which email app?  Someone has said that Mozilla is no longer updating Thunderbird, and I am (as Den knows) just a tad security-conscious.  OE6 has been basic but very good to me.  Its search function has been 100% A-OK, and I'm able to find what I need.
      1. I do have Outlook on my constantly-updated O365 Home on the Win 7 machine (not used yet), but I also use Outlook at work, so it's a bit boring.
    2. How to migrate over the air gap?  Hire an unlicensed New Jersey trucking company?
    3. Ideally the emails will sit on a second hard drive as data.  Better than a paper bag.
    4. All my emails have been on a POP3 basis until now (but with the OE6 setting "Keep copy on server" checked).  How hard is it to change that to IMAP so that I can start accessing from numerous devices but keep a central record and not lose anything?  I've never used IMAP.
  2. How to pour a copy of my old XP machine into a virtual machine that I can call up when I'm on my Win 7+10 and feeling lonely?  I ask because my XP duct-tape machine isn't doing so well.  I could just keep its hard drive, but that might be what's getting poky.

As these are sort-of new topics, in what folder on this Forum should I start them?

Hey - don't cry yet - we still have till April.  But then it's auf Wiedersehen -- Au revoir -- adiós -- さようなら -- Прощай -- Tchau -- "Windows is Shutting Down".

You can access a physical hard drive via a virtual machine. For instance, I have two different drives, one with Fedora and one with XP. From virtual box I fire up XP directly from the MBR Hard Drive. Such function is called "raw disk access". If you think that your drive with XP might fail, you could just clone it.

Anyway, if you are really willing to convert your xp into a vmdk file, there are countless ways, like using Easeus To-do backup: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/convert-physical-to-virtual.html

Last but not least, if you wanna migrate to another Windows version, migrate to Windows 10 and not 7. As much as I dislike the bloated piece of crap I use everyday called Windows 10, it's the latest version, it's kept updated every month and it will be supported for quite some time. Windows 7 is already living on borrowed time 'cause its support is gonna end at the end of 2020, a year and few months after the end of the XP one. It is currently receiving security updates only, it is limited to DX11, the latest .NET Framework can't be installed as well as metro apps (Apps for Windows) like WhatsApp for Windows, Skype App for Windows and so on.

Edited by FranceBB

As for the email issue, if you liked Outlook Express, you can use Windows Mail on 7.  The forums at eightforums.com have a detailed thread about it.

I cannot agree with the Windows 10 recommendation, however Windows 8.1 is in support until 2023.  You can COMPLETELY hide Metro apps and that Start Screen so don't let that dissuade you.

13 hours ago, FranceBB said:

..., it is limited to DX11, the latest .NET Framework can't be installed as well as metro apps (Apps for Windows) like WhatsApp for Windows, Skype App for Windows and so on.

Life is good because it is so varied :) I see those as features and advantages of Windows 7 when compared to 10.

jaclaz

10 hours ago, dencorso said:

Fixed, thanks! :thumbup
Of course, as they say, "the sound remains the same"... (just like "kernel" and "colonel", BTW). :P

Yep :), or as we say, homophones ;).

jaclaz

On 8/26/2018 at 12:31 AM, FranceBB said:

You can access a physical hard drive via a virtual machine. For instance, I have two different drives, one with Fedora and one with XP. From virtual box I fire up XP directly from the MBR Hard Drive. Such function is called "raw disk access". If you think that your drive with XP might fail, you could just clone it.

Anyway, if you are really willing to convert your xp into a vmdk file, there are countless ways, like using Easeus To-do backup: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/convert-physical-to-virtual.html

Last but not least, if you wanna migrate to another Windows version, migrate to Windows 10 and not 7. As much as I dislike the bloated piece of crap I use everyday called Windows 10, it's the latest version, it's kept updated every month and it will be supported for quite some time. Windows 7 is already living on borrowed time 'cause its support is gonna end at the end of 2020, a year and few months after the end of the XP one. It is currently receiving security updates only, it is limited to DX11, the latest .NET Framework can't be installed as well as metro apps (Apps for Windows) like WhatsApp for Windows, Skype App for Windows and so on.

When I tried to do on my XP, I encountered issues (VM was crashing and going black screen at best). I went through different solutions about cleaning HAL entries, configuring settings etc... And finally going from VirtualBox to VMWare player worked... Still dunno how and why.

Your only choice for a lowend machine is to run Debian 9 LXDE. 7 ran absolutely awfully on my netbook and 10 won't install most likely.

I'm actually going to use XP even after this date. I don't like Linux much because of all the hassle with the command-line, and the fact most distros now that market themselves as lightweight seemingly require more than 1GB of RAM... I want to squeeze as much life as I can outta my only laptop :)

1 hour ago, SRainharp said:

Your only choice for a lowend machine is to run Debian 9 LXDE. 7 ran absolutely awfully on my netbook and 10 won't install most likely.

I'm actually going to use XP even after this date. I don't like Linux much because of all the hassle with the command-line, and the fact most distros now that market themselves as lightweight seemingly require more than 1GB of RAM... I want to squeeze as much life as I can outta my only laptop :)

I have a Dell D610 notebook that came with XP, but I switched over to Puppy Linux (Precise v5.7.1).  I sorta have it looking like a cross between Windows NT 4.0 (with a very 95-esque feel) and by using the Helvetica font on the title bars and menus, it also has a classic OS/2 feel to it.

Now the Puppy distro I use is no longer maintained, however it runs Pale Moon v27.9.4 just fine.  For quick and dirty browsing and for email, it serves the purpose.

I have thought of employing Windows XP x64 Edition on to my old Vista workstation and using it as an audio editing suite, and it would be used offline.  After all, updates ended for it as of July 2015, right @Thrawn?  (I think his profile got blasted with the recent site restoration, eh?)