Firefox 12: reCAPTCHA v2 doesn't work anymore

Hi there,

since a few days I'm not able to activate the checkbox and solve any Google reCAPTCHA v2 using Firefox 12 on Win2k.

Can anybody please test for me if Firefox 10.0.12 (ESR) still works? Here's the official testing page: https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/demo

Or is there any other alternative browser for my unmodified Win2k SP4 UR1 that still works?

Thanks a lot!

recaptcha requires MessageChannel object now, from my testing, with dom.messageChannel.enabled = true (pref starting working from firefox 26 and later) versions from ESR 31 and later will work.

I'm now trying to port MessageChannel API to palemoon26, if everything works, then there will be a browser that is working with recaptcha and vanilla win2000.

Edited by roytam1

1 minute ago, woodpusher said:

Hi roytam1,

thanks for the quick response. Please post a link if you get Google recaptcha working in Palemoon 26. Is there also a German version available?

there are language packs for palemoon26.

On 8/25/2018 at 6:51 PM, woodpusher said:

Hi roytam1,

thanks for the quick response. Please post a link if you get Google recaptcha working in Palemoon 26. Is there also a German version available?

many of MessageChannel APIs are ported, but recaptcha still doesn't like it.

https://github.com/roytam1/palemoon26/compare/6fc6866d05fc71605fee5706ae6b968998411982...b6873481735a0b2d33fb532734f2cc1d62580fff

it seems that bug912456 is needed but it landed in 31.0a1, there is lots of API changed which making porting progress becoming difficult.

woodpusher wrote:
Or is there any other alternative browser for my unmodified Win2k SP4 UR1 that still works?

YES!! Just tried, and even on Windows98: Opera12.02 still gets in!
That browser is dating from 2012. Very pleasantly surprised now :-D

Used this testpage:
https://patrickhlauke.github.io/recaptcha

On win98 KernelEx is needed, but the compat-setting is Win2000, so it should work on original Win2000 too.
You probably can run an even newer Opera version. What was the last version of 12.x, updated not long ag... 12.18?

Of course, it took some struggling too, clearing all private data, playing with the settings etc. Then during the second gameround of pictures, there suddenly was an error:
"cannot contact reCaptcha. Check your connection."
Restarted Opera and tried again. This time the error showed up even earlier. But after playing around some more with settings, clearing all data yet again, restarting the browser yadda yadda and restarting the web connection to get another IP-number, at last it worked again. Then after 4-5 more picture-rounds it finally reported success!

The UserAgent which I still had set from earlier sessions and didn't need to change:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
(now wondering about that mix of 40 and 52, the same number would probably make more sense)

BUT the prob is unfortunately, this was only a test page. And today this version 12.02 can't access all websites anymore, due to stricter TLS-requirements. On Win2000 you're probably lucky and can use the last update of Opera12.x, would expect this to have newer certs.

@roytam1
Please keep trying, hope it's possible. An alternative browser is really needed. Looks like at the moment ancient Opera12.02 is the only chance, but it already started failing on some websites too.
Edited by siria

On 8/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, siria said:

@roytam1
Please keep trying, hope it's possible. An alternative browser is really needed. Looks like at the moment ancient Opera12.02 is the only chance, but it already started failing on some websites too.

just hope if I have time looking at it, as $dayjob occupies most of time.

EDIT: with some preliminary looking, it seems that the porting process might take ages.

Edited by roytam1

• 1 month later...

Opera 12.02 doesn't work anymore.  :realmad:
But, unlike Firefox has only an inactive checkbox, Opera opens the challenge window, but doesn't show the picture, only a blank frame, and the buttons don't work.

Any hope of workaround using a test audio? What's your opinion?

Empty recaptcha.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...