In-place upgrade from XP to 8.1?

ABM

I need an urgent help.

The problem is:

I have two versions of Windows XP installed on my PC. But I wanted to use Windows 8.1 by changing one of my XP into it. So I tried to install the Windows 8.1 in my PC and found that a problem is occurring. When ever I try to install the 8.1 and reach the Setup windows where I need to select the partition where I need to install it it a message show me that I am using an MBR type of partition and I need to change it into GPT. I tried to find out how to shot out this problem and all I came know is that I need to format my whole hard disk and change it into GPT and it will lead to deleting all my data from my PC which is not possible for me. I don't have any external storage so that I can backup such a huge amount of data. So, can anyone help me to install Windows 8.1 without such a hazard?

I need an urgent reply to this post!

All the members present here please me !!!!!!!

Edited by Tripredacus
title

1) that you have not a backup is a real problem, much bigger than your issue with installing 8.1
2) "my PC" tells nothing, you should provide some info on the system, and specifically if you are attempting to boot in UEFI mode:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/dn336946(v=win.10)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/boot-to-uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode

Maybe you chose the UEFI device, like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GSW3-dPC_c

3) JFYI, you won't make many friends on the board  (nor you will be served better or faster) by using "urgent" and lots of exclamation points.l

jaclaz

22 hours ago, jaclaz said:

1) that you have not a backup is a real problem, much bigger than your issue with installing 8.1
2) "my PC" tells nothing, you should provide some info on the system, and specifically if you are attempting to boot in UEFI mode:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/dn336946(v=win.10)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/boot-to-uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode

Maybe you chose the UEFI device, like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GSW3-dPC_c

3) JFYI, you won't make many friends on the board  (nor you will be served better or faster) by using "urgent" and lots of exclamation points.l

jaclaz

I was trying to use the method given in the 3rd link before you had posted it here but the BIOS of my PC is very different in looks and although I got the place which he (the youtuber) mentioned but I found no different option other than P0 and P4.

And my dear Jaclaz why you are so aggressive? And I see that you try to hit me whenever you get a chance!

2 hours ago, ABM said:

I was trying to use the method given in the 3rd link before you had posted it here but the BIOS of my PC is very different in looks and although I got the place which he (the youtuber) mentioned but I found no different option other than P0 and P4.

And my dear Jaclaz why you are so aggressive? And I see that you try to hit me whenever you get a chance!

Well, you asked for an urgent reply, you didn't specify you wanted a kind one, additionally.

And we are still in the "my PC" undetermined realm. :(

I would therefore take the occasion to kindly re-submit to your attention the opportunity to explicitly describe make/model of "your PC"[1] as this would likely allow this thread to move from (educated) guesses to (hopefully) suitable solutions to the problem you have.

It is my pleasure to provide the following info:

A PC may have :
1) a BIOS firmware
2) a UEFI ONLY firmware
3) a UEFI firmware with a CSM (Compatibility Support Module), i.e. an additional BIOS-like environment

Your PC should belong to type #3 above, as the message the Windows 8.1 setup showed is related to a UEFI installation (that implies GPT partitioning), but since you are already running on that same PC a XP (that CANNOT boot in UEFI) and using a MBR partitioned disk evidently for *some reasons* either the choice between BIOS and UEFI was changed in the firmware settings or *for some other reasons*  the Windows 8.1 setup mistakenly attempts to install the windows in UEFI mode.

There are several different ways to either correct the cause of the problem or workaround it, including:
1) directly applying the install.wim to the target partition
2) using another method from the built-in Windows Setup to install the OS, like the good WINNTSETUP
3) temporarily change the partitoning from MBR to GPT (in a way that allows to not loose any data)

and possibly more, but they may either have some definite prerequisites or possible unwanted consequences.

So, in order to serve you at the best of my possibilities, before being more explicit in advising you I respectfully suggest that you provide the needed info.

I perfectly understand how this, and particularly the tone with which such requests are made may cause you anxiety, stress, or more generally - directly or indirectly - inconveniencies, and of course I beg your pardon in advance, but it remains my firm belief that without these info there is - through the unfortunate suggestion of a specifically not suitable method - a possible risk for the integrity of your data.

jaclaz 

[1] and - additionally - a description of the hard disk you have in it and the exact way you have it partitioned and formatted

Edited by jaclaz

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Your PC should belong to type #3 above, as the message the Windows 8.1 setup showed is related to a UEFI installation (that implies GPT partitioning), but since you are already running on that same PC a XP (that CANNOT boot in UEFI) and using a MBR partitioned disk evidently for *some reasons* either the choice between BIOS and UEFI was changed in the firmware settings or *for some other reasons*  the Windows 8.1 setup mistakenly attempts to install the windows in UEFI mode.

There is potentially another reason. It is true that Setup itself will attempt to partition the disk in GPT format IF you boot the install media in UEFI, and MBR if you boot in legacy. However, there are certain situations where Diskpart (at least) behaves incorrectly. I have seen it various times where diskpart will refuse to run MBR commands[1] on certain hardware and certain hard drives, even when the WinPE is booted in Legacy.

[1] Commands for diskpart are not MBR or GPT mostly, but diskpart will give a similar error to what Windows Setup does, that the disk type is incorrect. The commands being the same, you can clean a disk, create a partition and format it, however then you would get the error when trying to make a partition active or setting an ID.

In any case, it is my understanding that you cannot do an in-place upgrade with a regular Windows 8.1 DVD, and that some changing to the ISO contents is required in order to allow for that functionality. BUT, I do not think there is an upgrade path from XP to 8.1. Usually the in-place upgrade path is last version to next version. Meaning to do in-place upgrade to 8.1 from XP you'd have to upgrade to Vista, then 7 and then 8.1.

The other "upgrade" option available in this situation is to use the User State Migration Tool (USMT). You can use v5 to capture the user data from XP, then you do the install of 8.1... which YES does erase the hard drive. Then you can use the USMT for 8.1 to restore the data and HOPE it works.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2013/09/12/how-to-migrate-user-data-from-windows-xp-to-windows-8-1-with-system-center-2012-r2-configuration-manager/

To be honest tho, if this is a desktop computer, I would recommend putting in a blank hard drive. Disconnect the other two/one/whatever and install Windows 8.1 onto that. And end up leaving your existing XP installations be.

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Usually the in-place upgrade path is last version to next version. Meaning to do in-place upgrade to 8.1 from XP you'd have to upgrade to Vista, then 7 and then 8.1.

Does it really offers something more than the direct upgrade? I think it isn't one of Microsoft's directives.

On 8/25/2018 at 12:47 AM, jaclaz said:

Well, for the record, I don't think :dubbio:that the OP was attempting a (direct or indirect) upgrade, but rather replacing one of his two instances of XP with a fresh install of 8.1.

jaclaz

Yah, I was try to change one of my XP into Windows 8.1.

Operating System
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
    Intel Core i5 4440S @ 2.80GHz    
    Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H81M-WW (SOCKET 0)    
Graphics
    Standard Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (NVIDIA)    
Storage
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA (SSD))    
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1
Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

These are the specifications of my PC.

On 8/24/2018 at 2:55 PM, jaclaz said:

3) temporarily change the partitoning from MBR to GPT (in a way that allows to not loose any data)

How can it be performed?