Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

i430VX

Steam Integration doesn't work anymore on XP?

Hello again, 

Over a month ago steam broke the client integration with their games. I contacted them about this. They know. They are "investigating further" and refused a date for a possible fix. A month later it is still unfixed. Does anybody know of a workaround to make it work again? or am I stuck until steam fixes it, if they ever do? 

Have you posted about it on the actual steam community forums? I haven't used Steam on XP in many years now.

49 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Have you posted about it on the actual steam community forums? I haven't used Steam on XP in many years now.

I'll post there tonight... but I just figured I'd get bashed endlessly, like "lol why u on xp its sooooo old?"

Which games and which kind of integration exactly do you mean?

I just run the FTL and check: the steam overlay works ok and the ingame time is increased in the Steam statistics. All seems as a few years before today.

23 hours ago, i430VX said:

but I just figured I'd get bashed endlessly, like "lol why u on xp its sooooo old?"

There's always that. :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

Which games and which kind of integration exactly do you mean?

I just run the FTL and check: the steam overlay works ok and the ingame time is increased in the Steam statistics. All seems as a few years before today.

well... all of mine do not work. on all of my XP comptuers that i have tested ( 3 of them)

I posted on the community forums. now, we wait.

Edited by i430VX

Surprise, surprise... A whole TWO MINUTES after posting i got this pretty useless response.

it's not even supported by microsoft , support for an old os, or any program cant be forever ,
the logistics and cost of supporting everything forever just isnt possible .
things change over time , and sometimes you have to change with them or be left behind .

anyways here's the discussion if you want to follow it for some reason:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1696045708645121036/

1 hour ago, i430VX said:

on all of my XP comptuers that i have tested ( 3 of them)

Are POSReady updates installed on them?

49 minutes ago, Yellow Horror said:

Are POSReady updates installed on them?

yes, but one of them runs XP x64... so not all of them. Why?

You say, the trouble appears "over a month" ago. It may be related to a fresh Windows update.

P. S. I try another my steam games and confirm that some of them have trouble with overlay. Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless, for example. But many other games switch to overlay normally.

Posted (edited)

No, the steam client updated, and that was precisely when it all broke.

i can confirm it doesn't work in:

-Terraria

-AdventureQuest 3D

-Gmod

-Half Life 2

-Russian Car Driver HD

Edited by i430VX

So we can guess it is from the April 4th steam client update, as the one before that was in 2017... despite the fact (based upon appearances) that the steam client updates way more often and/or every time you boot your computer/open the steam client.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/38412/

But the obvious issue here is that it isn't a 100% problem you are having, if others on the current Steam version have no problem. There must be something in common amongst your computers, or on your network, that makes none of them work for you.

You did say earlier that the overlay does work with some games still? I have never had that type of problem before, in any OS.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

So we can guess it is from the April 4th steam client update, as the one before that was in 2017... despite the fact (based upon appearances) that the steam client updates way more often and/or every time you boot your computer/open the steam client.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/38412/

But the obvious issue here is that it isn't a 100% problem you are having, if others on the current Steam version have no problem. There must be something in common amongst your computers, or on your network, that makes none of them work for you.

You did say earlier that the overlay does work with some games still? I have never had that type of problem before, in any OS.

No the overlay doesn't work at all. Yellow Horror said some games work for him.

I'm beginning to think my steam account is just busted.

I'll try a new steam account on a relatively fresh XP x64 install tonight

Other than the NT 5.x kernel i cant thing of any thing in common between these computers. Some have AMD cpus, some intel. some have Nvidia GPUs, and my laptop has ATI.

I thought maybe it was my garbage internet at first but I'm on gigabit right now at my school on my laptop and it still doesnt work.

Edited by i430VX