In-place upgrade from XP to 8.1?

ABM

Windows 8 features- Other OS

Boot Mode Selection- UEFI and Legacy

LAN PXE Boot Option ROM- Disabled

Storage Boot Option Control- Legacy only

Other PCI Device ROM Priority- UEFI OpROM

Network Stack- Disabled

This is what I see when I open the BIOS Features.

Edited by ABM

When I change it into Legacy Only then nothing pops-up which is related to the Setup.

I forgot to mention that my setup file is in a bootable pendrive.

Will I make a DVD?

Sure :), nothing should popup, by design, you only changed a setting, no taaa-daa, nor music band or fireworks to celebrate the accomplishment .

It is when you try again and launch the install/setup that it shouldn't (anymore) nag you with GPT, I don't tink there is any difference between a DVD and a pendrive source.

The idea is that the setup somehow checks for the presence of UEFI boot mode and if it finds it, the UEFI install prevails over the Legacy one, without giving you an option to change the mode, this would be typical MS.

jaclaz

58 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Sure :), nothing should popup, by design, you only changed a setting, no taaa-daa, nor music band or fireworks to celebrate the accomplishment .

It is when you try again and launch the install/setup that it shouldn't (anymore) nag you with GPT, I don't tink there is any difference between a DVD and a pendrive source.

The idea is that the setup somehow checks for the presence of UEFI boot mode and if it finds it, the UEFI install prevails over the Legacy one, without giving you an option to change the mode, this would be typical MS.

jaclaz

Then what will I do now?

1 hour ago, ABM said:

Then what will I do now?

a. You save the firmware settings.
b. You reboot to the install media.
c. You try again installing the (stupid) Windows 8.1.

Four possible outcomes:
1) you got the right setting and the install/setup won't ask you for a GPT disk/partition anymore
2) you got the wrong setting and install/setup will behave exactly as it did originally (in this case other possible settings in BIOS/UEFI may be needed)
3) no matter if the changed setting did anything, your PC will be struck by lightning or however catch fire instantly
4) *something else*[1]

jaclaz

[1] the *something else* includes a catastrophic overwriting of the hard disk, no matter if due to your mishandling of the procedure or to a malfuncioning of the proocedurte itself, hence the initial:

On 8/23/2018 at 10:35 AM, jaclaz said:

1) that you have not a backup is a real problem, much bigger than your issue with installing 8.1

9 hours ago, Yellow Horror said:

What is your trouble now, exactly?

I am have installed two different XP versions in my PC and  I need to change anyone into Windows 8.1 so that I can use latest softwares but I can't install Windows 8.1 as a error message pops up when I am running the setup which tries to say me that my PC has MBR type of partition but it requires a GPT type of partition. But I can't back up all my files and format whole of my hard drive and get them partitioned into GPT. So I need a such I solution to it so that I need not format my whole hard disk. I am also afraid that if I am able to switch to GPT then I can no longer use my loving XP.

So any help from you will be very beneficial to me and if you need anymore details I can provide you.

I am grateful to Jaclaz that she tried to help me as much as she can.

Edited by ABM

3 hours ago, ABM said:

I am grateful to Jaclaz that she tried to help me as much as she can

Don't look now but... jaclaz is a man (an old and grumpy one, just like me, BTW).
And since I'm posting in this thread, let me give you some advice you may not want:

Do yourself a favor and borrow/buy/beg a big enough external disk and do create a reliable backup (like a forensic grade full disk image), or even more than one. As it is now, you remind me of someone wingsuiting at 300 miles/h heading straight towards a ten feet thick, reinforced, bubble-free, concrete wall... It just cannot end well.

36 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Don't look now but... jaclaz is a man (an old and grumpy one, just like me, BTW).

Actually older and grumpier (besides cheap  and extremely picky), in a few years you may be able to reach the same levels, however. ;)

jaclaz

1 hour ago, ABM said:

Windows 8.1 as a error message pops up when I am running the setup which tries to say me that my PC has MBR type of partition but it requires a GPT type of partition.

You already receive good advices how to fix it: disable UEFI-mode and Secure Boot boot in your PC setup. Then Win'8 installer don't require GPT partition.

So, i repeat my question: what is your trouble now, exactly?

15 hours ago, ABM said:

When I change it into Legacy Only then nothing pops-up which is related to the Setup.

I forgot to mention that my setup file is in a bootable pendrive.

I understand, you did save the Legacy Only setting. That's good.
Did you try to boot from the pendrive? Do this.
What do you get next? Does Win8.1 installation start?

3 hours ago, ABM said:

I need to change anyone into Windows 8.1

It just dawned on me that to actually perform the task of changing someone into Win 8.1 you'll will need a variation of that old spell that changes people into frogs, not an installer. I believe you may find a version of it in the classic Circe's Treaty of General Magic...:yes:

On 4/6/2017 at 5:20 AM, Dibya said:

ABM is my friend in real life .

Maybe was:whistle: after this reply :dubbio::

4 hours ago, Dibya said:

@ABM try this magic spells.

Disabalus Safebootis Installus Metro crapus

jaclaz