Cannot Type Emoticons or Emojis

Jody Thornton

I've always just used the selector...

:)

but I see your point, it doesn't work. strangely when I went to edit this post it tried to change :) to :)

Edited by i430VX

I had mixed results. Initially, emoticon images were not in cache so when I typed in the code manually and posted, only the text had shown up. If I opened the emoticons panel, none of the images were initially present, then they loaded in and I clicked on the same one. Then after that, typing in emoticons manually would change to the picture in the post editor as they should. I am not familiar with how the post editor works exactly. The way it looks to behave is that it does a "text replace" on the emoticon text with an IMG tag with a picture. If you happen to do that without the images cached, or before the script to do the replace is run, or it doesn't run because the image isn't cached, then that looks to be the reason. The forum relies on the browser to load and run an AJAX script to do this conversion. Unfortunately, I didn't have the monitor running when I did my initial test where I duplicated the issue, only after I had opened the emoticon panel.

My Palemoon is edited so the help menu is missing, but my user agent says I am using PaleMoon/27.6.2.

:) FWIW, it worked for me using SRWare Iron w/ Win7 Pro x64.  I haven't done anything I'm aware of to load the emoticon images into my cache, but then I also haven't done anything I'm aware of to prevent their being loaded, either.

To me, as in any other time when I'm trying to figure out how to force a post to display with the desired look, this is just yet one more reason why I wish the "good" folks who supply our board software hadn't removed the ability to alternate between BBCode mode and WYSIWYG mode.  But I know that ship has long sailed since I don't think they even use BBCode mode internally any more, Not that they NEEDED to change from a format that has worked perfectly well for many years, but ... --::sigh::-- n/m [end of rant]

Cheers and Regards

bphlpt said:

But I know that ship has long sailed since I don't think they even use BBCode mode internally any more, Not that they NEEDED to change from a format that has worked perfectly well for many years, but ..

Speaking of BBCode, love that too! default_smile.png

Some tags still do work! Actually it's my only chance with old OS+browser to show something as [.quote.] or in bold [.b.] or italic etc. Perhaps [.img.] works too, just testing with the smiley above ;-) Prob is, the quote-button itself shows nothing visible here, am merely doing copy/paste. Can't even get into the normal editor area, have tried with enabling JS, but this forum soft is so extremely bloated it very quickly freezes. Am glad that at least the input field at the topic bottom still works for very weak machines.
If you like, you can probably see the 'pure' code too, when blocking JS and then editing a post?

Would be interested to know an example of the 'src-code' for a working quote-title, as visible afterwards when edited. The old [.quote=userXY.] only shows a thin dark line here 😎

• 2 weeks later...