Steam for XP in 2019?

kitaro1

Sooner or later it will update though...

Welp, no idea what to do now, tried reinstalling Steam and removing steamui.dll a couple times so that the updater could download a new one, but none of these helped. The worst thing is I don't know if it's because the update is not compatible with XP and Vista or because Valve really did screw up something. :unsure:

Edited by Tamris

14 minutes ago, Tamris said:

Sooner or later it will update though...

Welp, no idea what to do now, tried reinstalling Steam and removing steamui.dll a couple times so that the updater could download a new one, but none of these helped. The worst thing is I don't know if it's because the update is not compatible with XP and Vista or because Valve really did screw up something. :unsure:

I will backup my current  steamui.dll incase something goes wrong

So I updated my laptop to the new build. It crashed because of SteamUI.dll. I replaced steamui.dll from my backup of jan 4th build. Steam worked, after disabling updates. But then somehow in my stupidity I messed the whole thing up, gonna have to completely restore steam from my old backup

Guess I'm out of luck then, didn't have mine steamui.dll backed up and don't where to get the one from Jan 4, tried some older ones from various websites but Steam doesn't even launch at all...

Not even send a download link via pm or something? And I don't know... you may be right, but at the same time I found a site which hosts various versions of this file, and seems to me they host them for a quite some time, and they still didn't take it down or anything so who knows...

1 hour ago, Tamris said:

Not even send a download link via pm or something? And I don't know... you may be right, but at the same time I found a site which hosts various versions of this file, and seems to me they host them for a quite some time, and they still didn't take it down or anything so who knows...

Well if you want i can upload steamui.dll on to czech hosting. They don´t take anything down. there are windows iso´s etc..

11 minutes ago, i430VX said:

yeah but MSFN's rules are more strict than other places. If you find the DLL somewhere, you need version 4.89.17.15

I replaced mine with that version. The error doesnt appear it connects but it doesny show the steam the cursor only shows its "loading" in the backround and nothing happens...

I tried replacing steamui with an older version yesterday too (albeit from an even older update), but it ended up the same as in @someguy25's case. So looks likes unless you somehow prevented Steam from updating to Jan 31 update, which in my case happened way before people posting here I shouldn't update, you're out of luck pretty much, and replacing steamui with any older version just won't work unless all other files are from the Jan 4 update too, though it seems to have worked for @i430VX... Don't really know what to think about it.

@Jaguarek62 Thanks, while I'd really like you to do that, I just don't want you to get banned because of my stupidity.

Hi guys, just posting to let you know about the existance of an archived copy of the latest build of Steam from last year.  It might be a good idea to add it your personal backups.  It has a steam.cfg file with settings to prevent further auto updates.  Hope it helps!

https://archive.org/details/steam_201901

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/abtw53/steam_build_nov_26_2017_archived_for_xpvista/

Thanks a lot Arthur, downloading it right now and hoping it will actually work.

Edit: OMG thanks a lot again! Downloaded this version of Steam, replaced all the dlls in the main folder that had the 4.93.xxx version with the older ones, also replaced the bin folder to the one from the older version and now Steam works!

Edited by Tamris

2 hours ago, ArthurUK said:

Hi guys, just posting to let you know about the existance of an archived copy of the latest build of Steam from last year.  It might be a good idea to add it your personal backups.  It has a steam.cfg file with settings to prevent further auto updates.  Hope it helps!

https://archive.org/details/steam_201901

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/abtw53/steam_build_nov_26_2017_archived_for_xpvista/

Thank you,this worked.Everything is working for me now :)

Again MSFN is a magical place so yeah:P