Steam for XP in 2019?

kitaro1

Hello!

For some time, on Steam, I get a message that from January 1, 2019 will stop working, due to the end of support for Windows XP. Is there a way to circumvent this? My computer is quite old and is doing the best on XP, so I do not want to switch to something newer.
Anyone have an idea for steam for XP in 2019?

Steam relies on an embedded version of chrome to function, newer versions don't work on xp/vista. I'd assume when 1 Jan rolls around they'll remove it. We're screwed then.

Unless, of course, one could just transplant the old chrome back?

You can stop Steam automatic-updates by adding this line (-noverifyfiles) to the Steam shortcut. Just remember to do a full backup of your Steam folder on 31. Dec 2018, so you can keep using the last available version on XP/Vista. You can still login and download games.

Edited by GTAGAME

This is a good way, but limited to one steam installation.
Is a copy of installed Steam - all folders and all entries in the registry - enough to keep Steam for long?

Backup of installed programs in Total Uninstall.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 9:13 AM, GTAGAME said:

You can stop Steam automatic-updates by adding this line (-noverifyfiles) to the Steam shortcut. Just remember to do a fall backup of your Steam folder on 31. Dec 2018, so you can keep using the last available version on XP/Vista. You can still login and download games.

Just relaying my own experiences here; I happened to have a copy of the Steam client just before Valve introduced the overhaul which, I believe, is the reason they are putting an end to XP and Vista support. (Steam's new Discord-like messaging system and adoption of Chrome.) Even when launching this copy with -noverifyfiles, Steam still attempted to update itself.

You'll want to check your package subdirectory before launching Steam each time, because Steam will download updates to that directory and try to install them even if you try to circumvent that step.

I hope that we'll still be able to do this come 2019, but for now I'm still able to log in, download, and play games. I even get time and achievements logged. If we can continue to do this next year, I'll be happy. I can do without Steam's new messaging system: most my buddies don't even use it anymore simply because they don't know people are messaging them.

• 3 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 6:21 PM, TrevMUN said:

Just relaying my own experiences here; I happened to have a copy of the Steam client just before Valve introduced the overhaul which, I believe, is the reason they are putting an end to XP and Vista support. (Steam's new Discord-like messaging system and adoption of Chrome.) Even when launching this copy with -noverifyfiles, Steam still attempted to update itself.

You'll want to check your package subdirectory before launching Steam each time, because Steam will download updates to that directory and try to install them even if you try to circumvent that step.

I hope that we'll still be able to do this come 2019, but for now I'm still able to log in, download, and play games. I even get time and achievements logged. If we can continue to do this next year, I'll be happy. I can do without Steam's new messaging system: most my buddies don't even use it anymore simply because they don't know people are messaging them.

I'm running Steam on my Windows XP x64 machine, using -noverifyfiles command since Valve break x64 support in Steam in mid-2017 (64-bit games like "Cities: Skylines" stop working in june-august 2017). Its working fine now, exept some bugs in Store, but you can always use Steam-web.

This is really sad. I have quite a few steam games that I played exclusively on XP, simply due to the fact that they had better compatibility / were much more stable on this old platform. I’m inclined to never give any of my money to Valve ever again. The least they could do, is allow you to access your library to download and launch your games. 

Edited by sparty411

43 minutes ago, Destro said:

I made a clean VM, and used App Deploy to create full steam install then tested it on another VM.  Seemed to work. 

It still works as far as simply launching the client goes. If you try to download any games, you'll be met with a server unreachable error.

Just for posterity's sake, anybody think it's possible to somehow package this still-XP compatible Steam version and upload it somewhere?

I mean it might not necessarily be worth it since Steam might block the client, and more and more games aren't going to be supporting XP & etc... but then again, there are still those XP compatible games on the store (and maybe more lightweight games could support XP in the future), so I feel like it might be useful to others in the future if we can somehow get this older version contained??? I don't know, just a thought.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:23 AM, i430VX said:

Steam still works without changing the date or -noverifyfiles for me

Can confirm. I happened to have, miraculously, a copy of Steam from before the countdown update which still works with the servers. For now.

Really hoping Valve doesn't pull a dick move and block access to the servers for older versions. Though I suppose they could still technically be used to run XP-friendly games as Steam does offer to run offline if it can't connect.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, PJSim said:

Just for posterity's sake, anybody think it's possible to somehow package this still-XP compatible Steam version and upload it somewhere?

I mean it might not necessarily be worth it since Steam might block the client, and more and more games aren't going to be supporting XP & etc... 

It's true that some of the games on Steam which once supported XP get updates that cease compatibility. I've noticed this happen with some of the titles I own, to my chagrin.

However, it's still worth it for the games that don't get such updates, especially for offline games.

I'm currently having a problem with my computer (one of the motherboard RAM slots isn't keeping the chip secure and it's throwing bad data ... My hand may be forced and I may have to overhaul my desktop now) but once I can confirm my other RAM is working fine and my hard drive data is still valid, I'll see about preparing an archive if no one else does.