Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

bizzybody

Tool I want to see, an MRU editor.

I'd love to have a tool that can edit *any* MRU list to make it easy to get rid of things like the username or email address of someone else who logged into a website (like MSFN) on my computer, or my own misspellings of my usernames etc on various sites.

It'd also be useful to correct or remove file paths that are no longer needed yet hang around forever.

I know it's possible because there are MRU and browser data cleaners that will completely remove all of the MRU contents, but I just want to edit the lists.

Like a registry editor with added the relevant bookmarks?

Some are here:

https://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/List_of_Windows_MRU_Locations

but of course each program and version of it may have different paths/keys in use.

Depending on the OS you are running the functionality may be built-in in regedit or you might need an external list (or a third party registry editor with the bookmark feature)

jaclaz

Something like that, but flexible enough to be able to search for MRUs rather than having a set list. It could have a list of the stock/default ones for each Windows version then scan the Registry and other places where programs and apps store their form data.

Presenting them in a UI where only the MRU data is shown would be a safeguard to prevent users from accidentally modifying or deleting data they shouldn't. Being able to export and import the MRU and form data location info with a text file would be useful. If the tool just did that, so the user could delete the unwanted entries in a text editor then import and replace the current data with what's in the text file would work.

Easier and safer than Registry spelunking with Regedit is the goal.

Yep, the issue is that everyone has done everything and the contrary of it, *some* keys contain the "MRU" string, *some* do not, and they are often in subfolders related to the program (and version) so the only possible approach is to have (verified and up-to-date) lists of those keys, if you prefer the real issue is not about finding someone capable of coding a small "MRU editor" (that tough as it may be should be possible) but rather to find, collect and maintain an appropriate list.

If you think about it, once you have a "proper" list of paths, it would be just a matter of exporting them as .REG files, merge them into one, then use *any* text editor to put a minus sign before each entry you want deleted and then re-merge the .REG to the Registry, for doiung this you don't need a particular dedicated program, but only a list of the paths (and a batch or VBS or Autoit making use of Reg.exe or similar).

jaclaz