Problem with recent windows update, error code 0x80073701

Mcinwwl

Hey, I have a problem with installing recent security update rollup for Windows 7x64 (currently KB 4338818). It started with June, and continues through July, making my computer much more vulnerable than I'd love to have. Windows fails to install throwing 0x80073701.

I tried using sfc /scannow.
I tried using System update Readiness Tool https://www.microsoft.com/pl-PL/download/confirmation.aspx?id=20858
I tried resetting the windows update components, as described here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-7-error-code-80073701-cant-install-updates/0be36326-13d5-4ee4-b146-aedf6dd3d632
and here: https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-windows-10-update-error-code-0x80073701/    *
I tried installing update locally, from installer file, with all internet security programs disabled.
And, obviously, I hoped that July update will fix the problem with June one with no intervention... All fail.

Someone on other board suggested me to use wsusoffline.net, but it started from downloading updates I purposely hidden (related to all the "telemetry" and Silverlight updates)... it looks like a tool designed for different purpose, I quit.

Only suggestions that remain tell me to reinstall Service Pack, as it is some bug good M$ guys have provided... An It's approach I'd like to avoid.

Any ideas?

*Yes, i know it looks like some shady "download my bloatware" site, but this current trick is just described with more detail than on M$ sites, filled with broken links and automated responses from more than helpful support team slaves.

• 3 weeks later...

So, one more attempt before I’ll drop a nuke. A Bump!

I tried more, looking for ‘any’ solution from the internet and tried installing cab file using DISM. It failed, but it returned an error saying ‘referred module cannot be found’, and pointing out to the DISM log file. This little text file seems to be able to tell me more-or-less what’s missing in winsxs folder. I also reminded myself about Dependency Walker and tried to analyse exe file attached into the msu archive.

And here the idea comes – maybe with a little help of logs and analysis tools I’ll be able to track down missing/invalid modules and copy them from the healthy windows installation? Any of the Lounge members tried that? Very risky?

PS I tried wsusoffline once again, and, however, it failed to install quality rollup, it did install separate security updates from August and July, so my attention level dropped from panic to cautious. As for updates, I do them regularly onto external HDD using Aomei personal, and data is stored on separate internal disk, so no big risk here.

Update Catalog says that KB4338818 replaces KB4055038, KB4284842 and KB4284826. Presuming these three would need to be on the system already, or perhaps reinstalling those could fix the issue.

However, Catalog also states that KB4338818 is superceded by KB4343900. Installing this instead may work.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=4338818

6 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

However, Catalog also states that KB4338818 is superceded by KB4343900. Installing this instead may work. 

No, it does not. Third month. I'll take a try reinstalling connected ones.

Ok, front report. I looked up the updates that 4338818 replaced. No luck here, it says they are not installed. Well then, maybe let's look up newest update replaced by this ones? So i checked up my installed updates list in control panel, and it shown... around 70 updates with install date 2018-06-02. Hm, back then I installed only rollups and so, surely less than 10 updates... What's more, some of them have release date back in 2016! So I started uninstalling them one-by-one, maybe something will work...

Not really KB3139923 refuses to get uninstalled throwing error pointing to other updates being badly uninstalled...

Ok, now KB 4103718, may security update rollup, cannot be uninstalled. Am I Doomed?

Obviously, after uninstalling all what I could from 2018-6-2 and later, MU is showing only two updates to be installed... Obviously, recent security rollup failed to install. Again.

If nothing changes, I think I rollback my backup to the state from before may updates from AOMEI Image.

Edited by Mcinwwl

Happy happy Joy joy! I restored a system backup from April that I did with AOMEI Backupper, which went surprisingly smooth, and then KB4343900 got installed with no issues :) Now it's time to update other program and components... Many thanks @Tripredacus for leading me into the path to the solution.

Two lessons from this case to be remembered:

1) Start investigating 0x80073701 issues from checking if any past update went wrong.
2) Always, remember to do regular backups, keep 'em safe and ready to use :)

Topic can be closed.

obraz.png.6ed0b2c0eaf99b929853b75760f17322.png

Edited by Mcinwwl

• 2 months later...

Askwoody.com reported windows 7 update had issues when not installing Servicing Stack Update from 2016. It was optional back then, now It's mandatory. also, Microsoft took down and re-uploaded KB4462923 security Rollup, because there were some bugs in it.

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/win7-monthly-rollup-kb-4462923-updated-and-rolled-out-again/

What I'd try, is to use System Restore Point and roll back to the point form before October 2018 patches were applied on your machine. After that, re-run Windows update, it should find updates automatically. I hope it should.

If you don't have a restore point that Old, try to uninstall November 2018 and October 2018 patches and try to update your system again.

Obviously, do a full backup before playing with Windows Update. use any program available and they should work... Even the one embedded into Windows 7 should do it's job :)

-------------------------

22 hours ago, dencorso said:
On 9/1/2018 at 12:07 PM, Mcinwwl said:

2) Always, remember to do regular backups, keep 'em safe and ready to use :)

+1 :yes:

There are three groups of people: Those who do a backup, those that does not, and those that are about to learn they are doing their backups badly. Hopefully, when the need came, I found myself in group #1, which makes me a bit proud. ;)

• 1 year later...