Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
Jakob99

Windows 3.1 to Vista upgrade

I am in the midst of upgrading from Window 3.1 to Windows Vista using Oracle VM VirtualBox. I was able to upgrade from Windows 3.1 to 95, 98, and ME just fine, however upgrading from ME to XP has caused a slew of problems. The first was that RAM needed to be 64 MB instead of 32 MB before it could install. That was an easy fix as I can change that from the settings. The next problem was that the C drive was corrupted and could not be repaired. I went through the create VM process with XP chosen and saw the default RAM was 192 MB. I went back to the ME VM and changed the RAM to 192 MB and the OS from ME to XP (as I was upgrading to that), and setup continued normally. It then threw an error saying it couldn't find presetup.cmd and setupORG.exe in the i386 directory. It said I could skip those files, but then this error popped up (see the attached image). Anyone know how to fix this? I tried copying the files to the desktop, renaming them to how they appeared in the error message, and then compiling the XP files into an ISO. That did work, however, the error did not disappear. I even tried changing the OS from XP to ME thinking maybe the two programs thought XP was already there, and that they need to know ME is installed in order to copy (which it is), but that did not work either. If you need more info, I'll be glad to share. Oh, and the VHD (or VDI in my case) space is at 45 GB, which has not caused any problems when installing 3.1 and then subsequently upgrading to 95, 98, and ME.

Error.PNG

First off, I am NOT very knowledgeable about VM's at all, so take all comments I have with a HUGE grain of salt.

I'm curious why you are doing this at all.  I would think you could just install Vista directly.  If there is a reason that you need to go through the upgrade process, then I would think there would be less chance of a screw-up by either you or the program if you minimized the number of steps involved, ie do you really have to go through all of the intermediate OS (3.1 -> 95 -> 98 -> ME -> XP -> Vista)?  Can't you skip some of those steps?  Maybe at least 95 and ME, and more if possible? 

Cheers and Regards

UXPCD and SetupORG.exe sound to me like the install source is a modified XP (for Unattended and/or with DriverPacks) along the lines of good ol' guides available here and there on MSFN.

The specific issue can be easily solved:

though it is unclear why it happens in your case (in the above referenced thread the cause was seemingly a not fully functional install media drive, but in your case of a VM it would mean that the actual media can have issues).

jaclaz

On 4/12/2018 at 12:29 AM, bphlpt said:

I'm curious why you are doing this at all.  I would think you could just install Vista directly.

There is not real reason to do it other than for the sake of doing it, as evidenced in the fact that you can just install Vista without anything in between. Using VMs is the easiest way to do it, as attempting to do this on real hardware is likely to introduce roadblocks or a considerable amount of research and/or testing to find a board/cpu/ram combination that supports all the OSes attempted to be installed.

I had read an article about someone who had attempted to this before, some years ago, but if I recall, they ran into some problem and "faked" completing the task by restarting again with XP.

Posted (edited)

Yes, if you do a google search  of "youtube installing windows 3.1 upgrading to windows 10" you get many results to watch as they go through all of the steps from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows 10, and they all use a VM as far as I can tell.  Here is one such link.  For that link:

Here's the Upgrade Path:
- Windows 1.0
- Windows 2.0
- Windows 3.0
- Windows 3.1
- Windows 3.11 For Workgroups
- Windows 95
- Windows 98 FE (First Edition)
- Windows 98 SE (Second Edition)
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 4)
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10

[It actually starts with DOS 6.22.]  The video lasts 7:34:05, so I seems it is a complete "real time" event. (No, I didn't watch it. :) )

One I have watched a year or two ago said that the person who posted that video had to choose between Win98-->ME-->XP and Win98-->Win2K-->XP, as they couldn't come up with a way to successfully do both ME and Win2K, so it might be interesting to watch at least part of the video I linked to above to see if they had to do anything special to do it.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

minimal way for upgrade win3x to win10 is 3x -> 98 -> xp -> 7 -> 10.

then u can save order all ur shortcuts from 3x desktop to 10 desktop.