Blue Light from Electronics

Monroe

• 4 weeks later...

The most annoying blue light sources in computer hardware are high power indicator LEDs on case, loudspeakers, network routers and similar. When blue LEDs were invented, they put them on most devices. I can read under a pair of such lights. I don't think I have a problem with them being blue, but with how intense they are. They shouldn't draw attention to themselves just because the HDD is active or the speakers are turned on.

A practical reason why I wouldn't sit too close to a conventional television is the flicker from the 50 Hz refresh rate in peripheral vision, worse than on computer screens.

The most comfortable setting on an LCD monitor for me is the lowest intensity backlight. This enables my eyes to stay dark-adapted for seeing in the room. This also reduces the absolute intensity of the blue light as a side effect. The fluorescent backlight also happens to be a little ugly yellow in my case, and I've adjusted the settings under color temperature. Most screens should have OSD controls for the color "temperature" that don't require any software overhead on the PC. To me, the screen appears white after I've gotten used to it, and I don't do any comparisons with printed material.

In the bedroom and toiler I use natural looking incandescent or halogen lights with LEDs limited to other rooms. Now that I think about it, the screen can't possibly match any of those for accurate professional work.

Clever people are now getting good business opportunities from blue filtering gadgets.