Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
laptopproblemslol

Latitude D630, currently installing Windows 98SE

Posted (edited)

I'm new here.

Alright, so if what i read is correct that forceware driver supports Quadro NVS right? Cause i got a 135m in the laptop.

How does one install those patches? Do i somehow use DOS to install it? I have 3 gigs of ram in the thing but i don't know how..

Received this laptop and just couldn't find it useful for anything, then i had the thought "Can i install Windows 98 on it?"

Crossing my fingers here, rather not have the laptop collect dust.

Edited by laptopproblemslol

What Patches.

You need my RAM Limitation Patch to use 3GiB of RAM.

52 minutes ago, rloew said:

What Patches.

You need my RAM Limitation Patch to use 3GiB of RAM.

I tried MaxPhysPage=30000 and managed to continue setup, it started to install things for plug and play and told me to restart.

However booting again all i see is a black/blank screen, will your patches help with that?

9 hours ago, laptopproblemslol said:

...Quadro NVS...135m...

According to Wikipedia, the Quadro NVS 135M is based on the 8400GS. There are no working drivers for 8xxx series NVidia cards under Windows 9x, sorry. :no:

When the unofficial NVidia driver for 7xxx cards was put together, device ID's for several later models were included optimistically in the INF, but no one has ever been able to get them working with an 8xxx or later card.

If the Wikipedia article is correct, the only Quadro NVS models that should work would be the Quadro NVS 110M (7300 Go based) and the Quadro NVS 120M (aka 350M; 7400 Go based).

You could always run an experiment to see if the drivers may work; I don't know that anyone has specifically tried them with 8xxx-based Quadro cards as opposed to GeForce cards, but I wouldn't bet on them working. With no working graphics driver, your laptop won't have much use as a 9x machine.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

According to Wikipedia, the Quadro NVS 135M is based on the 8400GS. There are no working drivers for 8xxx series NVidia cards under Windows 9x, sorry. :no:

When the unofficial NVidia driver for 7xxx cards was put together, device ID's for several later models were included optimistically in the INF, but no one has ever been able to get them working with an 8xxx or later card.

If the Wikipedia article is correct, the only Quadro NVS models that should work would be the Quadro NVS 110M (7300 Go based) and the Quadro NVS 120M (aka 350M; 7400 Go based).

You could always run an experiment to see if the drivers may work; I don't know that anyone has specifically tried them with 8xxx-based Quadro cards as opposed to GeForce cards, but I wouldn't bet on them working. With no working graphics driver, your laptop won't have much use as a 9x machine.

I would if i could but it kept giving me that black screen, but if the GPU doesn't work no point in trying. Thanks

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, laptopproblemslol said:

I would if i could but it kept giving me that black screen, but if the GPU doesn't work no point in trying. Thanks

honestly, the most practical way to all this is to probably remove as much as ram as possible, 512 MB would be a good "fail safe" start, i say this because i rarely had any systems, more modern that is, that needed less ram to boot up / finish setup, etc, as a matter of fact, i did not need to do anything with system.ini settings with systems as much as 1 GB ram installed from the start. i only encounter issues on windows 95 osr 2.5 if the ram is higher than 512 MB ( from the start that is without system.ini changes ), unless there is some motherboard ram limitation which would affect both OS. 

a clean install with acpi disabled is probably better to do on a more modern laptop like the d630. run "setup /p i" to do so. as far as other settings, i personally try to use the lowest setting for both minfilecache and maxfilecache in system.ini, if i'm not mistaken, it should be no less than 1/24 of your total ram installed, so for 1 GB systems, you can put down 44000 for both settings, i have not had any problems with these settings, also for the maxphyspage entry, you can use 40000. 

Edited by cov3rt

1 hour ago, cov3rt said:

honestly, the most practical way to all this is to probably remove as much as ram as possible, 512 MB would be a good "fail safe" start, i say this because i rarely had any systems, more modern that is, that needed less ram to boot up / finish setup, etc, as a matter of fact, i did not need to do anything with system.ini settings with systems as much as 1 GB ram installed from the start. i only encounter issues on windows 95 osr 2.5 if the ram is higher than 512 MB ( from the start that is without system.ini changes ), unless there is some motherboard ram limitation which would affect both OS. 

a clean install with acpi disabled is probably better to do on a more modern laptop like the d630. run "setup /p i" to do so. as far as other settings, i personally try to use the lowest setting for both minfilecache and maxfilecache in system.ini, if i'm not mistaken, it should be no less than 1/24 of your total ram installed, so for 1 GB systems, you can put down 44000 for both settings, i have not had any problems with these settings, also for the maxphyspage entry, you can use 40000. 

I'll attempt it some other time, but thank you next time i'll try that.