How to get Virtual PC 2007 working on Windows 10?

FantasyAcquiesce

11 hours ago, helpdesk98 said:

it is awful, but I wanted to get screenshots of the different elements of Windows 98 and attempt to recreate them in W10/8.1 make it feel more like home lol.

Better (for next time ;)) and possibly also waaay quicker (for the specific task):

http://www.virtualdesktop.org/complete/index.html

jaclaz

As far as I know right now, Virtual PC 2007 only runs on 32-bit versions of Windows 10. Any attempt to run VPC on Windows 10 64-bit will result in a BSoD (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) referencing VMM.SYS.

For the time being, if you want to run Virtual PC, you can run it in a virtualiser such as VMware or VirtualBox. If you're using Windows 2000, you need to use Virtual PC 2004. 32-bit versions of Windows XP SP2 and up can use the 32-bit versions of Virtual PC 2007l. 64-bit versions of Windows XP through Windows 7 can use the 64-bit versions of Virtual PC 2007. :)

Has anyone found what dependencies were changed in Windows 10 and what caused the 64-bit versions of Virtual PC 2007 to not work at all under Windows 10?

On 8/11/2018 at 9:00 PM, HarryTri said:

Virtual Box also have guest additions (they were separate but now they are contained in the installer).

Only for Windows 2000 and newer.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:55 PM, ppgrainbow said:

64-bit versions of Windows XP through Windows 7 can use the 64-bit versions of Virtual PC 2007. :)

Windows 8.1 x64 also works if you replace vmm.sys with the one from Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1.

Before replacing it, run this from admin Command Prompt:

sc stop vmm

Replace the file and then:

sc start vmm

On 8/15/2018 at 5:25 PM, helpdesk98 said:

my work around (not a very good one) installed Win XP in VM Ware Player and then installed Windows Virtual PC 2007 inside the XP VM with Windows 98 inside it is slow and clunky, but it works.

A new kid on the block (Windows 95, not 98), JFYI:

https://github.com/felixrieseberg/windows95

The Verge commentary:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/23/17773180/microsoft-windows-95-app-download-features

The app its [sic] only 129MB in size and you can download it over at Github for both macOS and Windows. Once it’s running it surprisingly only takes up around 200MB of RAM, even when running all of the old Windows 95 system utilities, apps, and games.

is however puzzling, considering that original requisites for Windows 95 were :

1) 4MB of memory (8MB recommended)
2) 50-70 MB space on hard disk

Personally I am not surprised at all, as a matter of fact I find it an unbearable amount of bloat.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

On 8/15/2018 at 4:25 PM, helpdesk98 said:

my work around (not a very good one) installed Win XP in VM Ware Player and then installed Windows Virtual PC 2007 inside the XP VM with Windows 98 inside it is slow and clunky, but it works.

I do the same but with Virtualbox. One problem is the layers of mouse integration conflicts