How to get Virtual PC 2007 working on Windows 10?

FantasyAcquiesce

Microsoft's artificial blocks are pretty annoying, luckily renaming a couple files allows the user to install and execute the program. Now an annoying error message tells me "The Virtual Machine Monitor Driver required by Virtual PC is missing".

Anyone got a solution to this? If not, are there any software recommendations for virtualizing Windows 9x? VMWare likes to make machines "busy" and undeletable, VirtualBox cannot properly emulate Windows 9x and allow internet.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

You may want to try Qemu.

A Windows port is here:

https://qemu.weilnetz.de/

https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/

As a side note, I doubt that VMWare *likes* that. :dubbio:

And I have seen a lot of reports of Windows 9x working just fine in Virtualbox, example:

https://socket3.wordpress.com/2016/09/06/install-configure-windows-95-using-oracle-virtualbox/

so I wonder if you arte having issues because of some "queer" settings or some mis-configuration or something like that.

jaclaz

:boring:

VirtualBox Windows 98se step by step on the 9x/ME forum. Why do you think it's pinned? :dubbio:
Now, thanks to IP.Bs crappy later software, @Kurt_Aust got fed up and moved it to the VirtualBox forums, but some goodies remain here at MSFN's original thread. However, for the latest guide, just go to the thread of the same name at VirtualBox Fourums. It just works. :yes:

16 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Sloppy copy/pasting. And then the crappy IP.B (it's got poltergeists inside!!!) decided to prevent me from fixng it. But it's fixed now (I hope)... :ph34r: Thanks a whole lot for the head's up! :yes:

Good. :)

Now, please, be nice and consider the event that this very thread is either photographed or printed.

I guess that just simply providing the link as opposed to fiddling with a hyperlink only to (apparently) make the text "prettier" has some advantages :angel, including a WYSIWYG that would have easily avoided the (little) mistake.

jaclaz 

On 8/7/2018 at 10:36 AM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Now an annoying error message tells me "The Virtual Machine Monitor Driver required by Virtual PC is missing".

If it managed to install, it would crash the whole OS when starting virtual machine. This is also the problem on Windows 8.1, but a newer driver from certain version of Windows Phone SDK (forgot the version, sorry, must have been released sometime in 2013) could be used to make it work on that OS. Interestingly, crash only occurred with older driver on 64-bit OS, but not on 32-bit variant.

Even said updated driver is unusable on Windows 10. Microsoft also broke something that allows special NDIS 5.x based networking services/drivers to bind to network adapters, so (certain?) Virtual PC 2007's networking features also wouldn't be able function without updated networking support driver.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:11 PM, dencorso said:

VirtualBox Windows 98se step by step on the 9x/ME forum. Why do you think it's pinned? :dubbio:

VirtualBox is very fussy for Windows 9x. And nobody tells you about random issues that you may experience if you have (certain?) AMD CPU in your computer.

Edited by UCyborg

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

VirtualBox is very fussy for Windows 9x.

No doubt about that, still lots of people use it, and though it has its glitches, the OP preamble is not accurate:

VirtualBox cannot properly emulate Windows 9x and allow internet.

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

... except the good people in the thread you hyperlinked to, and that seemingly provides a valid solution/workaround to the issue (change the declared CPU in the VM).

Comeon, don't be so negative :), if you think about it, if the good MS guys actually worked and worked smartly[1], we would have less than half the fun ;).  

jaclaz

[1] in the sense of actually fixing the stupid errors they themselves periodically create 

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

... except the good people in the thread you hyperlinked to, and that seemingly provides a valid solution/workaround to the issue (change the declared CPU in the VM).

Indeed. The point is you have to be prepared for unexpected issues with VirtualBox. If you don't encounter issues with what you need a virtual machine for, then VirtualBox can be a valid solution. One obvious advantage of both Virtual PC 2007 and VMware are the guest additions.

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

if the good MS guys actually worked and worked smartly[1]

MS would like their users to use Hyper-V and not run older operating systems, and when it comes to their own virtualization solutions, there's nothing stopping them from keeping Virtual PC 2007 unusable on Windows 10.

BTW, read this. MS guys could actually work smartly, if they wanted to. Another interesting observation, Windows is still setup to use NDIS 5.x based driver when trying to use USB tethering feature on smartphones. Updating it to NDIS 6.x version has been reported to help with reliability issues that appear to be common with default driver. Search for "windows 10 usb tethering fix", though the issue is known to date back to Windows 8.1.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

MS guys could actually work smartly, if they wanted to. 

Or if they were allowed to or told to,

Beside some usual form of programmers' rectius software engineers'  :w00t: lazyness and historical shortsightedness  I suspect that the real issue is management, driven by a debatable company culture and sometimes by  evident incompetence. 

jaclaz

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

And nobody tells you about random issues that you may experience

No need to. "Random issues" is 9x/ME middle name. I've used it as my main OS from '98 to about 5 years ago... so I should know. When I got fed up, I moved on to XP, and never looked back. But "issues" are part of the game for 9x/ME, so it's even actually questionable whether it's fair to push the guilt for them onto the VM. :whistle:

On Παρασκευή, 10 Αυγούστου 2018 at 4:02 PM, UCyborg said:

One obvious advantage of both Virtual PC 2007 and VMware are the guest additions.

Virtual Box also have guest additions (they were separate but now they are contained in the installer).

27 minutes ago, helpdesk98 said:

my work around (not a very good one) installed Win XP in VM Ware Player and then installed Windows Virtual PC 2007 inside the XP VM with Windows 98 inside it is slow and clunky, but it works.

I believe that kind of setup is called in jargon  SMVMS (Slow Matrioschka Virtual Machine Set) or LTVMM (Letargic Telescopic Virtual Machine Mixup). ;)

jaclaz