Underflow Scene

dencorso

Well, the animated .GIF below is a small part of a commercial of the "Bottoms Up" beer dispensing system, but it illustrates nicely what an underflow would be, were it possible in the real world. In the sequence, all glasses are underflowing until the first one, which was almost filled up ends actually overflowing. Now, I do remember seeing one underflow scene (I once thought it was on one of the Matrix movies, but it's not). It may have been on a movie or on a series episode, like Heroes or the 4400... I'm sure I saw it, though. Have any of you all also seen it? And if so, can you pinpoint where, exactly? TIA! 

underflow.gif

I haven't ever seen it, but it seems that it is a real thing and has been around for at least 10 years, according to this site - http://www.bottomsupbeer.com/, and apparently your gif above is a commercial for that company. Did you mean to imply by "were it possible in the real world", that it wasn't a real thing?

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

No... Well, not quite. Of course, "Bottoms Up" is real and exists, all right, but what it does is not a real underflow, because the beer is injected through a hole in the bottom of the glass, which then closes by means of a magnetic seal when the filled glass is removed from the dispenser. Now, in a real underflow, which cannot happen in the real world, the beer would appear magically from the bottom of an empty glass. It cannot happen in the real world, but it can happen in the computational "reality", in which one can extract more numbers from a buffer than were put in, by reading arbitrary memory below the buffer start.  And that is called a "buffer underflow",.. which is why I, at 1st, imagined I had seen that scene in one of the Matrix movies.

I may know of where this has shown up in television, not movies. In Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, there is an episode where Odo is with some people eating or drinking. And he makes a glass appear in his hand, and liquid in it. He can drink the liquid and refill the glass again at will. It is because he is a Founder / shapeshifter, his body is naturally a liquid. In this instance, the glass and the liquid are both part of his liquid body, so it is just for show and an attempt to appear more normal and fit in.

You may be right. I couldn't just now find that scene to check, but I did find out there's an underflow scene in Thor: Ragnarök, which certainly is not the one I had in mind, because I hadn't seen it before, ever. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5mdir2ycgM

I'm getting 403:Forbidden when I try to post this video, so I've scrambled the url. :crazy:

5h later: now I can deobfuscate the url, but it does not become an embedded video anymore...
but I've captured the relevant part into an animated gif (below):

thor3.gif