Interesting hotfix discovery

greenhillmaniac

I've been delving into the world of Windows 8.0 hotfixes, which basically are updates that fix very specific issues that Microsoft didn't issue in Windows Update, that got released in the timeframe of 8.0's release up until the beggining of 2016, and I discovered a very interesting one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2929742

Stop error information isn't displayed on the blue screen in Windows

This behavior is by design in Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2012 because it makes the blue screen cleaner. If you want to the Stop error information to be displayed, apply the following hotfix or udpate.

Lol, gramatical error on a KB article :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you apply this hotfix and put a registry key that they describe in the article you could reenable verbose BSOD just like in Windows 7 and earlier!

This hotfix also exists for 8.1, but got bundled in a security update that was released in Windows Update, so everybody running 8.1 already has this possibility.

Edited by greenhillmaniac

Another interesting hotfix not released in WU for 8.0

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3002653

Update to support AAC and LATM format audios in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8

This article describes an update that supports the AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) and the LATM (Low Overhead Audio Transport Multiplex) format audios in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012. The hotfix has a prerequisite.

21 minutes ago, HarryTri said:

Is there any hotfix for the issue that you stick in the log-in screen when you try to log in to an account? I have KB3132080 from Windows Server 2012 but it doesn't help very much. 

Can't remember... had to sip through over 300 support pages from Microsoft :crazy:

I do remember seeing a couple hotfixes for login issues and a few related to DWM consuming too much CPU and having a memory leak where it reached 2GB of use.

3 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Finally... Just finished compilling 328 unreleased hotfixes for Windows 8.0 x64!

Any interest in me releasing these files publicaly?

Is it a lot of work, or could you easily just post links for them?  I could see a couple of them being useful, but these are only if you experience the issue at hand, right?

:)

15 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

Is it a lot of work, or could you easily just post links for them?  I could see a couple of them being useful, but these are only if you experience the issue at hand, right?

Most of these hotfixes were released in Windows 8.1 as part of its Update 1 and Update 3, so you could say these updates just bring bug fixing parity to 8.0. Hosting these shouldn't be a problem, so don't worry about that ;)

On 7/28/2018 at 5:42 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Anyway, if you apply this hotfix and put a registry key that they describe in the article you could reenable verbose BSOD just like in Windows 7 and earlier!

I didn't know that registry setting wasn't present in the OS initially. So it's a hotfix for a removed feature, not something broken by accident. BTW, Winaero Tweaker has the option to toggle that registry setting.

The crash parameters are output with a small font on the upper-left portion of screen. Windows 7 puts it right next to the error code. It's much easily readable on Windows 7 and earlier. So typical problem of inefficient screen space utilization from Metro/UWP world finds itself on the BSOD as well.

On 7/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, Jody Thornton said:

Links would have to be hosted on Microsoft owned servers (not counting personal Onedrive folders) in order to be posted here.

So what if it's hosted on the Windows 8 update repository that Gereenhillmaniac hosts?  I just want somewhere I can go through an easy list and decide what I want and don't want to install.

(This is not me making a demand, by the way.  I just wondered if that were possible)

Oof... listing 328 Microsoft KB pages seems counterproductive, considering you need to suply your email address for them to mail you the link to the hotfix. The whole point of this was to host the hotfixes all together for easy access.

Makes me wonder if my update repository for 8.0 and Vista updates is considered "legal" :dubbio:

2 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

Oof... listing 328 Microsoft KB pages seems counterproductive, considering you need to suply your email address for them to mail you the link to the hotfix. The whole point of this was to host the hotfixes all together for easy access.

Makes me wonder if my update repository for 8.0 and Vista updates is considered "legal" :dubbio:

Oh that's fine (hosting them altogether for easy access).    I don't need a list or anything.

I was wondering if the legality question of your repository would come up. :(

We can be assured that the laws of the USA (if not the world) are designed to aid current day business operations, and little care is given to "obsolete" products. I'm sure that Microsoft is aware there are sites all over the place with their old files on there and don't really do anything about it because it does not impact their current business. Certainly if we were talking about currently active/supported products it would be a different story. That isn't to say that it is a free pass on those types of things, because you don't get caught or are currrently ignored does not change the legality of it. But if Microsoft decided to go after such file repos, they would be well within their right to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

So @greenhillmaniac what was the consensus on this?  What I'd like to find out (without you going to a whole boat load of trouble) is what these patches do.  That way I can pick and choose relevant ones for my needs.

Any information or links would be appreciates.  I can also PM you an email address if that's m,ore appropriate.

Cheers!